Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Removing Selvages (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/removing-selvages-t284067.html)

soozieq2 11-27-2016 11:43 AM

Removing Selvages

I face the prospect of making yards of binding for a flannel blanket. I am using quilting cotton for the binding and there is no need to use the bias. Is it really so terrible to not remove the selvages before I cut the strips? The fabric has been prewashed. Thanks a bunch.

Onebyone 11-27-2016 11:48 AM

When you join the strips use a 1/2 seam and cut the selvage edge off to have a 1/4" seam.

NJ Quilter 11-27-2016 11:51 AM

The only reason I would maintain the selvage edge is if you are only using a small amount of the fabric on hand. If you remove the selvage from the entire piece, should you want more of it later on you run the risk of not knowing exactly what you have.

If you are using the entire piece you have to make your binding, I would then say it's personal preference as to removing the selvage before or after cutting your strips.

Is there a particular reason you want to remove the selvage edge prior to cutting? I never do - just make wider seams when sewing strips together and trim during the pressing process. Just interested to see if there's a reason of which I'm unaware.

soozieq2 11-27-2016 11:56 AM

Due to sheer laziness, I prefer to not remove the selvages. It seems that both of my responders believe it is wise to get rid of the selvages from the finished product one way or another. I have heard that the selvages will shrink differently from the rest of the fabric, leaving a small pucker in the finished product. Thanks for replying.

zozee 11-27-2016 01:19 PM

The selvages have a looser weave, and therefore aren't as strong. Over time and many washings, the seams with selvages (from what I'm told) won't hold up as well as the rest.

I think if you fold your fabric and then turn it so that you fold the fabric again so that the selvages are together, you can cut them off in pretty short order.

Tartan 11-27-2016 01:20 PM

I just cut straight across the whole fabric width when doing straight of grain binding. I cross the selvage ends over about an inch to do 45* joins and then trim off the selvages.

bungalow59 11-27-2016 03:07 PM

Cut them off... You spent all that time making your beautiful project; the few seconds it takes to remove them won't make that big of a difference in the long run. Your quilt is worth it!

thimblebug6000 11-27-2016 04:43 PM

I agree with the others as long as you are cutting your binding from the width of the fabric and not planning on cutting your binding along the length including the selvage as part of your fabric binding width. (hope that makes sense)

Sandra in Minnesota 11-27-2016 05:27 PM

I do what Tartan does!

Quilt30 11-27-2016 06:22 PM

No you do not need to remove selvedges before cutting the strips.