Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The reorganization Bug has bitten me!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reorganization-bug-has-bitten-me-t176894.html)

sgardner 01-26-2012 08:21 AM

I would add a quick suggestion for your quick remodel- find the time to hang shelves or a design wall or something else that says "this is my new space". For me, it was some really inexpensive wood slats that I did in a wide repeating X pattern- it allows me to hang quilt blocks on them (or my pattern that I am working on, or finished projects) with just a tack. The quilt squares that are up there currently are all from an exchange block of the month, and easily allow me to tell the next person what colors I need to tie them all together for the finished quilt(s) when I get enough of them. I had to have all my stuff pulled away from the wall when I hung them, so there's the thought to take the time to make the most of your reorganization.

gramma nancy 01-26-2012 11:20 AM

Add my vote to the "paint!" column. You will be dissatisfied if you move in all the new, well-organized things and have to look at the old, patched walls. Then (and this is experience speaking,) you will dismantle everything and paint so the whole room looks great. Save youself the extra step and paint while it's empty anyway.

Angel 01-26-2012 11:41 AM

I would DEFINITELY paint it now because you will be sorry once you have it all reorganized & pretty!!
I know (been there done that!!) ;)
Believe me......paint!!!

Dotha 01-26-2012 02:16 PM

I asked myself the same question when I got ready to reorganize. To paint or not to paint. The walls were not that bad, I did not think anyway, until I really looked at them. Yes, they could use a repaint but it really was not that bad. I decided to not paint. I started to move things around and I thought..."Yes, paint!" I ran out right then to buy paint. By the time husband got home, I had a good start. Soooo glad I did it. now I am in the next step of my redo. So so happy that I choose to paint. It only set me back a day and a half but made me feel tons better. I even finished two BIG projects inbetween the first reorganization and now the second phase. OF course with two projects (did I mention they were big projects? and totally complete?...that complete part seldom happens) left a mess behind that DH does not understand. So now I am in clean up mode again to get ready for the next step.
Good luck and have fun. It sure is MUCH more fun to sew in a bright and cheery room...and a bit more organized too. It is energizing. Did I mention TWO big projects DONE????? Did I mention SELDOM happens?????

Kathy Osterby 01-26-2012 04:27 PM

What kind of floors do you have? If concrete you could paint them like a rug using paint for garage floors. Make a quilt on your floors! But definitely paint walls.

I wonder 01-26-2012 05:44 PM

Yes, paint your favorite color and enjoy your sewing area! Can't wait for your photos!

cousinpenny 01-27-2012 03:42 AM

Get friendly with the Home Repair Places
1. Buy the "oops" paint
2. Get the long metal bars with multiple outlets for dh to mount in handy locations
3. Carpet stores have roll ends (that's how a family member's utility room got 4 different patterns of vinyl floor which meets in the center like the 4 corners area
4. A damaged kitchen or bath cabinet and or surface...makes a great sewing table or cabinet.

SandScraps 01-27-2012 04:38 AM

Absolutely, paint away. Don't fight that idea.

RonieM 01-27-2012 04:49 PM

You bet!! If you are going to go through all the work of re-arranging, etc. you might as well spackle and paint - give it a full-face lift. You'll be glad you did.

dressmakergurl 01-27-2012 05:35 PM

Yes, paint, a wonderful happy color. Get it all done at the same time. Cuz, later you'll wonder why in the world didnt I paint when stuff was in middle of floor. The bug had me last month. Took me all month to re do thread wall, and
destash, and rearrange. I am a happier sewer now. You will love your new space. Can't wait to see pics.