Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Repairing a block in a quilt that's already being quilted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repairing-block-quilt-thats-already-being-quilted-t145576.html)

Lobster 08-16-2011 07:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm in the throes of hand-quilting a quilt that's going to be raffled off for charity. The blocks are crazy blocks from a block swap. Unfortunately, I didn't realise until after basting that there's a problem with one block. It wasn't sewn in either the standard method of piecing, traditional crazy piecing, or foundation piecing. Instead, she laid the pieces of fabric down and then did a zigzag over the raw edges. There's a large heart shape covering most of that block (fused on, so no hope of quilting through that part of things. Basting was a nightmare at times), so I didn't spot this until the fabric had already started to tear away from the zigzagging in several places. I tried embroidering over it with blanket stitch, but it still looks very frayed and I wouldn't dare wash it. Right now I've ordered some 6mm grosgrain ribbon in hot pink and was planning to stitch that on top of all the "seams", probably using some sort of hand embroidery stitch (this is all hand-sewing). Do you reckon that's the best option, or is there something else I could do?

scrapngmom 08-16-2011 07:57 AM

I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to say I really like the quilt top. Hope you will be able to fix it. It is a quilt I would love to have in my house.

Lobster 08-16-2011 08:02 AM

Glad to hear it! I have no idea whether you'll be able to buy raffle tickets from abroad, though. Come to that, I'm not 100% certain the charity (Forward UK) will raffle it, though that's what I'll advise them to do.

Prism99 08-16-2011 08:04 AM

I think the ribbon would look very cute. However, I'm thinking that narrow bias strips of hot pink fabric would be easier to sew. The ribbon won't have any "give" while you are working with it, and ribbon ends typically fray a lot. Might be difficult to poke a needle through too.

I would get a narrow Clover bias tape maker thingie, starch the hot pink fabric before cutting strips, run them through the tape maker, and then cut pieces to size to hand sew over the fraying edges. Just think it would be easier to work with than ribbon.

Helovesme 08-16-2011 08:07 AM

I love how that heart block stands out and is visibly different from the rest....like the 'heart of the quilt' and a story behind it. I think a ribbon would be perfect or if possible use a piping of sorts - kinda like an artery or ventrical in the heart.

Lobster 08-16-2011 08:12 AM

Prism - Oof, really? It's all straight lines, I was just going to fold it over at the ends and when it got to turning corners. I have absolutely no idea what the ribbon will be like to work with, I ordered it from eBay and it hasn't arrived yet. The good thing is that I can fix this at any time, since the quilting is already done on this block, so I could even finish the whole quilt, plus the cushion cover and wall hanging to go with (two leftover blocks from the swap), and then sort out the frayed edges.

How useful are those binding tape thingies otherwise? I'm a bit reluctant to spend even more money just to fix this one thing.

Lobster 08-16-2011 08:17 AM

Helovesme - yes, it's funny, the quilter kept on apologising for that heart because she'd gone a smidgen past what I'd requested for the blocks, and I kept on saying No no, it's great, it really makes the quilt - and then I discover all that fraying! I won't be sewing over the heart itself, I think it works best on its own plus it's a nightmare to get a needle through.

maine ladybug 08-16-2011 04:14 PM

I think your plan sounds like a good one. I would only add that a little Fray Check on the fabric before you add to it may be a good idea to help hold it all together now and in the future.

dunster 08-16-2011 04:26 PM

I think your solution will be perfect, and that is a gorgeous quilt!

paulina 08-16-2011 06:52 PM

I think your idea will work well.

Also have you seen the tutorials for making binding tape just using a pin in your ironing board? It would spare you needing to buy anything and looks crazy easy.