Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Repairing old hanky butterfly quilt-- NEWBEE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repairing-old-hanky-butterfly-quilt-newbee-t214587.html)

Valleypeach 02-22-2013 09:14 PM

Repairing old hanky butterfly quilt-- NEWBEE!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello, I am a beginner quilter. In fact, I have only completed one quilt in my life, so far. 15 years ago I made this hanky butterfly quilt for my daughter as a college graduation gift. The butterflies were machined -appliqued, and the entire quilt was machine quilted with a little featherweight. Daughter sent it back to me a few months ago with some tatters on some of the hankies. A few I think I can just carefully mend, but I will need to replace at least one of the butterflies completely! My plan is to carefully snip off the fabric from the old hankie. Then appliqué a fresh hanky/butterfly BY HAND, trying to catch only the top of the quilt. lastly, try to quilt the hankie, again only going through the top piece. My fear is I don't want to trash the lovely design on the reverse side, created originally by machine. Do you have any tips, tricks, cautions, advise, before I start this? I really appreciate your expertise! I guess I will advise her to be sure to dry clean only in the future. Photos attached... Thx again..

Prism99 02-22-2013 10:08 PM

Beautiful quilt! I think you are on the right track in terms of repairs.

ailene 02-22-2013 10:22 PM

For a first quilt it is very nice. I haven't seen a butterfly hanky quilt before. I am by no means an expert but I have done quit a few appliqued quilts and I am not sure if it is possible to do what you are talking about. You will need to catch that bottom layer when you hand stitch that butterfly on in order for it to stay put. If you don't, I fear the new butterfly you add will become loose and floppy, so to speak. Having said that, you can do it with tiny stitches by hand and it won't look that bad, because the back is white already just use white thread.
Maybe someone else on here might have some other ideas for you, but in general a quilt requires to be quilted top and bottom, whether it has batting or not makes no difference because some summer quilts don't have batting, but in order for it to be firmly sewn together I would secure the bottom as well. When you go in, do add a small amount of batting to help hold it firm and not feel flat. I wish I could be of more help but you will do just fine I am sure.

earthwalker 02-22-2013 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5881714)
Beautiful quilt! I think you are on the right track in terms of repairs.

I agree. It is a very pretty quilt.

Minnesewta-sam 02-23-2013 04:46 AM

I think I would attempt to leave the exiting butterfly as is and stabilize it so it don't deteriorate further...then applique a larger, darker butterfly over it. I enjoy challenges such as this...Crazy? Maybe.

franc36 02-23-2013 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam (Post 5881895)
I think I would attempt to leave the exiting butterfly as is and stabilize it so it don't deteriorate further...then applique a larger, darker butterfly over it. I enjoy challenges such as this...Crazy? Maybe.

That was what I was thinking also. I am repairing a quilt by appliqueing over existing pieces. I love your butterfly quilt! Beautiful quilting!

mannem 02-23-2013 06:44 AM

Could you just appliqué a strip of new green across the bottom?

carrieg 02-23-2013 07:13 AM

I think your plan as stated is a sound plan. Hand applique is always done thru 1 layer as it is done before sandwiching. Maybe machine stitch the butterfly into its shape before it hits the quilt. It's beautiful!

nativetexan 02-23-2013 07:47 AM

maybe not dry clean, just tell her to soak it, agitate no more than two minutes, spin. refill tub, soak, agaitate two minutes, spin. done! the agitating is detrimental to quilts over time. this one is lovely.

mighty 02-23-2013 08:08 AM

Beautiful quilt, idea for repairs sound very good.