Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Repairing small hole in backing fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repairing-small-hole-backing-fabric-t218342.html)

mkc 04-05-2013 02:37 PM

Repairing small hole in backing fabric?

So I had a little "oops" with the seam ripper picking out some quilting and put a small hole in my quilt backing. Wouldn't you know it was in the middle of the backing (which is a single piece of cotton)... It's just a few weave-threads long, maybe 1/4 inch.

This is only my third quilt, so I don't know what the best repair method is - just machine darning the hole? Putting a small piece of fabric underneath (would be inside the quilt) and darning over the hole? Patch of fabric on the outside?

If it was in the border area I'd applique a label over it, but being towards the middle area of the back, I don't know what to do. It's also a Mother's Day surprise present for my elderly mom so I want to do the nicest job possible.

Thanks,

Michelle

PaperPrincess 04-05-2013 02:46 PM

I would put a small piece of light weight fusible interfacing (the kind with fusible on one side only) on the INSIDE. should be able to bring the 2 cut edges together, then just iron it.

charsuewilson 04-05-2013 02:53 PM

And then, if it's still too noticable, put an applique over it. Add some more if one looks out of place.

katier825 04-05-2013 02:53 PM

Can you applique a small decorative design over it to hide it? If you do like a floral spray or something, it won't look like you're hiding anything. I made a mistake on a paper pieced "wave" and ended up appliqueing several dolphins in the waves so that it looked like part of the design rather than a fix.

Tartan 04-05-2013 03:41 PM

I found a flaw in my background fabric and used a flower fussy cut from fabric and applied with Wonderunder to cover the flaw. It worked well since I could do a machine buttonhole stitch around the patch before sandwiching. Since yours is already sandwiched, I would use an appliqué that you could hand sew down over the boo boo. Find some cute little motifs that you could write a little message on and sew it on. Label don't have to be in the corner of a quilt.

QuiltnNan 04-05-2013 03:55 PM

since it's a mother's day gift, how about a label with a mother's day poem on it?

Jennie and Me 04-05-2013 05:30 PM

I had that happen, only the fabric came off the bolt with pencil eraser holes in it every 88". I just appliqued extra blocks that I had left over from the top over the holes. Worked great and looks like I planned the backing that way.

mkc 04-05-2013 06:25 PM

Thank you all for the great ideas! I have a nice variety of scraps from the front blocks and it never occurred to me to applique over the hole with something that looked intentional - I was focused on the "hiding" aspect of things.

I love this board!

Michelle

irishrose 04-05-2013 07:50 PM

If it's for your mother, how 'bout a picture of the two of you blanket stitched on? I put my son's daughters on the back of his quilt and he was pleased.

bearspaws 04-06-2013 10:06 AM

I have a friend who just finished a quilt..and then her puppy chewed a hole in the backing..so she cut a flower shape and appliqued it over the hole. It looked really cute like it was supposed to be there. You could always make a few flowers of different sizes too and scatter them on the back so it looks like it's an intentional pattern.