Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   repeating a project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repeating-project-t221221.html)

JanTx 05-11-2013 07:04 AM

repeating a project?

I'm not talking about using the same pattern - I have some go-to patterns that I've used over and over. I'm not even talking about using the same fabric - I just finished 3 quilts from different patters with the same fabric. I'm talking about the same project, with the same pattern, and the same fabric. Don't like it!

I made my mother 4 placemats for Christmas. She loved them! :) So ... she wanted 4 more. I want to give them to her tomorrow - and have them pieced ready to quilt. But ... it's not fun. :( Love my Mom. Proud she liked them enough to want more (you can't use 4 with two tables of bridge ladies lunch, now can you?) I sure have put it off until the last minute though.

Last Christmas I also made her 4 placemats - and got a request for four more. I just need to make a note to make her 8 of everything!

Back to work.

MartiMorga 05-11-2013 07:11 AM

Repeating can get boring. I symathize with you. My mom, who sewed beautiful outfits for me and my sisters when we were children, made 3 bridesmade dresses - of course the same. In the end, she literally quit sewing. Had lost something when repeating the same pattern 3 times. Made me wonder though, she use to make 3 matching dresses when we were very young. Must have been the size, lol.

amh 05-11-2013 07:20 AM

You are a good daughter. I know you'll make them with love.

I do feel for you. Once I'm finished with a project, I'm done with it and it is hard to do it again. I try to play mind games with myself to make it easier. Since the first four are no longer in your home, pretend it's a new project. It seems to help. Just get it done as quick as possible so you can move on to another project. This time you should post the photos for the rest of us.

Your mom will appreciate it, and we do things for people we love just because.

amh

Nanny's dollface 05-11-2013 07:24 AM

I agree 100%. It is so hard to mentally get into doing the exact same project. What I have that helps me is to do another craft entirely like scrapbooking or card making.

bearisgray 05-11-2013 07:26 AM

It's great that your Mom liked them well enough to want four more - hope you have the fabric to do it with.

JanTx 05-11-2013 07:32 AM

When she told me she wanted more I went straight to the fabric store and got enough to make them - almost. I had to piece the outer border - adding 1/2" to a not-quite 3" strip - to get that one done. So that's fine. I've had it in a project box, had a picture to be sure I was pretty close, but had to really guess at some things since it's not really a pattern. It's that octagonal placemat where you make a square and fold it, but it would have been good if I had written down how large I made that square! Sigh. Back to it - again! :)

Peckish 05-11-2013 07:57 AM

Could you just pretend that you're making blocks for a quilt? :)

QuiltnNan 05-11-2013 08:12 AM

i agree, it's so hard to go back and make the same project again. that's why, when i decided to do my Dear Jane, i'm doing all 3 at once. i know i'll never get back to doing another after completing one.

DebraK 05-11-2013 08:28 AM

great idea. I bet you learn a lot doing the block 3 times.

hopetoquilt 05-11-2013 09:37 AM

You should make 4 more with a different pattern but same fabric to coordinate...