Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/replacing-machine-considering-3-new-machines-t272153.html)

lyndaj 11-11-2015 06:05 PM

Replacing Machine - Considering 3 New Machines

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have been a quilter since 2003. I currently sew with a Pfaff Expression 2.0 which I hate and am desperate to replace.

I have been speaking with dealers and perusing the internet. I am considering the following 3 machines:

Babylock Aria
Bernina 740
Janome 8900

I am hoping that you guys can provide your experiences with any of these machines. There are pros and cons to each of them and I can't come to a conclusion.

Many thanks,

Lynda

Prism99 11-11-2015 06:18 PM

Have you sewn on all 3 machines?

KalamaQuilts 11-11-2015 06:22 PM

I have an 8900 and love it, but the only person who matters is you. Take your own fabric, sew on all the machines at the dealerships. Go back 2 or 3 times.

all the best..

lyndaj 11-11-2015 06:35 PM

Yes, I have sewn on all three machines

Prism99 11-11-2015 09:48 PM

I don't have any personal experience, but these websites seem to offer some insight into the Aria. I know some quilters on the QB love their Dreamweaver and Crescendo machines:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/90224

I love my (now almost vintage) Bernina 1230, but I have my doubts that I would be willing to pay for the new Bernina 700 and 800 machines simply because of the cost. I do love the "purr" of my Bernina, though. If my 1230 ever gave up the ghost and the 740 had that "purr", I admit I would be sorely tempted.

I sewed only briefly on a Janome several years ago (not the 8900, but at that time the current top of the line). While it's features were impressive, I simply did not feel comfortable with the machine. This is where I think purchasing a sewing machine becomes personal in much the same way that buying a car does. Gut response to the machine means a lot!

Dolphyngyrl 11-11-2015 10:05 PM

I love my dreamweaver, has the features of the Aria

DOTTYMO 11-11-2015 11:38 PM

I have a bernina and janome. I use each for different things.. Each machine has its own personality even if same make. Play on them until you find the one that talks to you.

Mickey2 11-12-2015 03:37 AM

I find the new Berninas very quiet and smooth even though there is a difference to the old all mechanical models. Janome 8900 is a quiet and very nice running machine too, not all Janomes are as nice as this model when it comes to noise and feel. If I could just go out and buy the Bernina 740 it would be my first choice. It depens on what you can afford at the moment. For free motion and top stitching Bernina's stitch regulator is the only feature I really want in a computerized machine. It gives perfect even stitches, all same size when free motion stitching. It just seems so nice for quilting, top stitching details on pockets, etc. I'm not that experienced when it comes to free motion. It's hard to predict in advace, it's something not often realized until a few years later, but I lean towards the Bernina because of their consistent quality and their features. I doubt there are any better machine out there. What ever you choose it will be an improvement on your Pfaff. You have to go to a shop and test sew on the Bernina and the Janome models in question :- )

JustAbitCrazy 11-12-2015 03:40 AM

I won't buy any machine without both upper and lower feed dogs, I feel they're that important.
Since you already know the pros and cons of each machine, I think you just need to decide which "pros" are the most important to you, and which "cons" will be easiest to live with.

Ariannaquilts 11-12-2015 04:31 AM

I am a Babylock girl so I would choose the Aria, however I agree with everyone else it's personal to you. I just wanted to welcome you to the board!