Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   repurposing fabrics, do you do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repurposing-fabrics-do-you-do-t158790.html)

javin22 10-09-2011 05:35 PM

I do it all the time. You can see at least 3 that I have done on. here. Everything from old dresses into quilts, to sheets into rugs ect.

Betty Ruth 10-09-2011 06:20 PM

I have always repurposed fabric, but my quilts are for my own use, for family, or give aways. Thrift shops and garage sales have been my major source of fabrics.

Greenheron 10-09-2011 09:08 PM

And, I buy napkins and embroidered linens, too. A damaged dresser scarf can be used to cover a lampshade as can pieces of crochet or a doily. And those older table centers--cloth in the middle with fancy lace or crochet--you can carefully cut away the center and drape all that fancy work over a small shade. I realized the good bits of very damaged embroideries, laces, crochet could become a white/ivory crazy quilt and I am building a collection, 25 cents at a time.
The good sections of pretty faded screen printed tablecloths I cut bigger than kitchen towels and hem to use as covers for bread or rolls.

My DS and DDIL are thrifty, too. I folded and stitched a green linen scarf, embroidered "Napkins" on it and filled it with a pile of--what else?--napkins of linen, damask, cotton, terry, plain and fancy. Napkins are a waste to wash a few at a time but now they can have fresh ones for days and can wash a bunch efficiently.

This thread has grown so I don't think I've read all the posts. Has anyone mentioned rags? Icky-looking fleece garments and throws can be cut into rectangles to use instead of Swiffer refills. They can be used and tossed or shaken out and laundered. Cotton goods too far gone for other purposes can be cut and used as dusters, pet mistake dabbers, scrubbers, window washers, furniture polishers, etc. If you take the time to hem them they also can be washed. Old cotton's about lint-free.

I've been making woven potholders since second grade but the loopers are expensive, now. I've found orphan socks can be cut into rings and woven on the looper loom.
I have also spiral-cut T-shirts and woven them. Other folks do that same spiral cut (like cutting bias strips from a tube) and crochet with the resulting 'yarn'. Makes great tomato ties--soft and a bit stretchy.

PghPat 10-09-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's a post about using decorator fabric sample books: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158818-1.htm

I bought two of those today, for .25 each. Gorgeous fabric! I know my husband wondered why, but he also knows that my mind works in mysterious ways, lol. Our garage is full of some very odd things...teeth, bones, feathers, tree bits and pieces, beads, pearls, .....fabric is pretty normal, lol.

Just a note to tell you that after cutting off and discarding MÀNY pages of the stiff cardboard on each page that if you put each page in the microwave for just a few seconds it will peel right off and make the entire page usable. Pat

janjj 10-10-2011 05:00 AM

thanks PghPat ! I get these free from friends of min who make draperies and such. I use them for LWR quilts. made 7 this year. I also joined the local quilt club and a gal had a pattern I thought I could manage as I am a beginner. I now have enough to make a fairly large quilt that could be good enough for a benefit quilt. I had to be choosy of the design and color if I wanted it to look good. ready to sew them together but fear washing will shrink everything. Will it? Do I wash in cold water? Help !

reginalovesfabric 10-10-2011 06:25 AM

we women do think alike don't we. I found a tablecloth at a thrift store for .50 and I used for a backing on a John Deere quilt, was a farm scene

I make quilts from mens shirts I buy for 50 cents at thrift stores. Sometime I buy cotton dresses with full shirts and use them in quilts and I buy baby bumpers and use them for quilts cut up into blocks.

Rhaorth 10-11-2011 07:56 AM

more great finds...
mother in law dropped off more fabric last night, now I got her looking for bargains at the thrift stores LOL

And boy were these bargains...

2 solid colors, 2 yards each, price for each was $1 each!!

and a couple pretty Christmas fabrics, I think they were either 50cents or $1 as well. plus a couple shirts (purple) that I can cut up for the blanket for the youngest boy.
(If I decide to cut them up, they look like they might fit me and are very cute!! hehehe)

Olivia's Grammy 10-11-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
And, I buy napkins and embroidered linens, too. A damaged dresser scarf can be used to cover a lampshade as can pieces of crochet or a doily. And those older table centers--cloth in the middle with fancy lace or crochet--you can carefully cut away the center and drape all that fancy work over a small shade. I realized the good bits of very damaged embroideries, laces, crochet could become a white/ivory crazy quilt and I am building a collection, 25 cents at a time.
The good sections of pretty faded screen printed tablecloths I cut bigger than kitchen towels and hem to use as covers for bread or rolls.

My DS and DDIL are thrifty, too. I folded and stitched a green linen scarf, embroidered "Napkins" on it and filled it with a pile of--what else?--napkins of linen, damask, cotton, terry, plain and fancy. Napkins are a waste to wash a few at a time but now they can have fresh ones for days and can wash a bunch efficiently.

This thread has grown so I don't think I've read all the posts. Has anyone mentioned rags? Icky-looking fleece garments and throws can be cut into rectangles to use instead of Swiffer refills. They can be used and tossed or shaken out and laundered. Cotton goods too far gone for other purposes can be cut and used as dusters, pet mistake dabbers, scrubbers, window washers, furniture polishers, etc. If you take the time to hem them they also can be washed. Old cotton's about lint-free.

I've been making woven potholders since second grade but the loopers are expensive, now. I've found orphan socks can be cut into rings and woven on the looper loom.
I have also spiral-cut T-shirts and woven them. Other folks do that same spiral cut (like cutting bias strips from a tube) and crochet with the resulting 'yarn'. Makes great tomato ties--soft and a bit stretchy.

Great ideas. I was planning on cleaning out my table cloths and after reading your post, it dawned on me that I could use the table cloths to back wall hangings and table runners. Another DUH moment.

judy363905 10-11-2011 01:53 PM

Hi Good Luck on the Job....would I be correct in guessing it is with 35th Ave Sew & Vac? I live in Phx area and got their email about the position. Hope you get it and learn tons about their machines.

Judy in Phx

Rhaorth 10-11-2011 03:17 PM

judy yes that is the place, still keeping my fingers crossed. they said they will let me know either way, if I get the job or not. could be end of week before they know.

Ahhh I hate waiting, the more I wait the more I hope, and if I hope too much I will be very disappointed if I do not get it.

*sigh*