Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   repurposing fabrics, do you do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repurposing-fabrics-do-you-do-t158790.html)

Rhaorth 10-07-2011 10:57 PM

so even if it is a mixed content, if it has synthetic in it it will melt?

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
Wish I knew how to test fabric, so I could determine if the ones that did not have labels are 100% cotton

I have seen a description of how to test a fabric scrap by burning it. Something about different smells, etc. Post a query in a new thread and someone will answer it!

this much I can tell you-----------cotton burns, synthetic melts.

Annaquilts 10-07-2011 11:02 PM

I have over the last year and I have also started buying more Walmart fabric. It was between less quilting or using lesser quality. I rather quilt with lesser quality cottons or repurposed cotton then not quilt. Think green when you repurpose. It is the big in. :P

annesthreads 10-07-2011 11:09 PM

Some great ideas here. I must start to haunt the charity shops - though I find that a lot of the sheets etc that they sell are just too grotty to use. Does anyone know if there are any books on this sort of thrifty use/reuse of fabric? I'd like to do it more often, as I'm now on a retirement income, and also because I increasingly want to live in a way that respects the planet's limited resources and makes the best use of everything. But I'm often unsure as to what could be used and how, so somee help and inspiration wouldn't go amiss. If there isn't such a book, will one of you ladies please write it!

Sienna's GiGi 10-08-2011 01:16 AM

I am using fabric to cover a dresser I had brought for my son years ago. He has moved out and I need more storage so I am going to sand, prime, paint, Mod Podge and turn it into something nice for my sewing room.

butterjoy 10-08-2011 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I took some pillow cases and make quickie sewing machine covers. They work really well.

I would like to do that, Will you send me directions?
Thanks
JOY

justflyingin 10-08-2011 02:34 AM

Anywho... who else shops at goodwill/thrift stores for fabric (be it sheets, scraps etc)

I do. One time I bought flannel pjs bottoms and tops for a year (a couple at a time--usually about 60 cents each) and then cut them all up and made them into flannel rag quilts. I ended up making 7 quilts out of the squares I had collected. I've used at least 2 for wedding gifts (put a note in the box what it was)...and they turned out great. I was very pleased.

But I regularly haunt the used clothing stores for 100% cotton sheets and 100% cotton curtains. I don't live in the US and this is my best source of fabric. I've made plenty of quilts with these items.

jeanneb52 10-08-2011 02:46 AM

of course...why wouldn't one use recycled fabric????

lucniak 10-08-2011 02:47 AM

that is my favorite place to shop. Have had good luck, and bought great material.

#1piecemaker 10-08-2011 03:02 AM

I use whatever I can find.

miriam 10-08-2011 03:04 AM

so even if it is a mixed content, if it has synthetic in it it will melt?

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

Wish I knew how to test fabric, so I could determine if the ones that did not have labels are 100% cotton

I have seen a description of how to test a fabric scrap by burning it. Something about different smells, etc. Post a query in a new thread and someone will answer it!

this much I can tell you-----------cotton burns, synthetic melts.

YES