Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Repurposing non-quilting items (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repurposing-non-quilting-items-t305934.html)

Prissnboot 07-24-2019 11:15 AM

Repurposing non-quilting items

Hey, I 'm wondering what you guys re-use in your sewing rooms that originally had a non-quilting purpose? For instance, I've purchased from an auto-parts store a magnetic screw bowl and used it as a magnetic pin bowl. I've also heard that the netting used to protect floral blooms can be reused on thread spools. Does anyone else have any ideas like this?

cashs_mom 07-24-2019 11:47 AM

I use lots of of non sewing things for sewing purposes. The boxes you get from the hardware or office supply store are great for holding small items. I use short drinking straws on my vintage machines to hold the spools in place, netting from around wine bottles can work on large spools of thread to keep the thread feeding upwards instead of sliding down and catching on the spool holder, magnetic bowls (as you mentioned), the zipper bags that sheets come in are great for holding fabric sets and other items.

donna13350 07-24-2019 01:06 PM

Wow..don't know where to start!
Hubbies laser corner level to square up quilts and panels
Kettle bell to secure long ruler
Stick on magnetic strips on each machine to hold scissors, tweezers,etc.
Wrong side of flannel backed tablecloths for design wall

Those are just what comes to mind..but I know that I have many, many more.

IrishgalfromNJ 07-24-2019 01:10 PM

Twenty years ago I bought a plastic tool box in the hardward department of Walmart to use as my sewing tool box. I use it to store machine needles (new and used), extra scissors, bodkins, small safety pins, and some other miscellaneous sewing tools. I love that tool box. It's light weight but very roomy. The top two drawers telescope out from the box making it easy to reach everything.

I use the plastic pencil boxes that you find in the school supply section of big box stores to store basted hexagons or bobbins and presser feet and other machine accessories (each machine has their own box with a label with the name of the machine on top).

Tartan 07-24-2019 01:40 PM

I have a cookie pan with 1/2 sides that I put all my sewing notions on beside my main machine. If I need to clean or dust, I just pick up the whole tray to move it instead of moving a million little things.

ILoveToQuilt 07-24-2019 03:12 PM

Donna13350: if you have computerized machines, I'd be very careful about using magnetic strips on the actual machine. My dealer has recommended that I not do this as it can hurt the computer. JMHO

Wooden skewers for pushing fabric points under the needle
NexCare clear medical tape for grip tape on rulers
Altoids (tiny) tins for holding pins
Bingo wand to pick up dropped pins
Cork board for putting up cartoons, blocks, needles, etc.
TV table to hold tabletop ironing board
Plastic bins and boxes to store fabric and projects
Nylon scrubbie to clean lint and tiny threads off cutting mat
Assorted glass jars for notions
Fishing tackle box to hold tools for when I go to class/guild
Hmmm....nothing else coming to mind but I know there's more

tranum 07-24-2019 03:15 PM

#Small plastic pickled herring pail (about quart size) with an old juice glass in it for weight. It’s where scissors, seam rippers, 6” ruler, etc. etc. stay next to my machine.
#Coffee mug given to my Mother years ago with some family members pictures on it. Hated to get rid of it & it was unused so I keep my sewing machine oil & rag in it. Makes me smile when I get it out.
#Small silver basket (Mom’s) big enough to keep some hand sewing supplies on the end table & looks better than a plastic container
#I chalk painted on the outside of an old china cabinet with glass doors. It’s where I display my Antique & vintage quilts.

donna13350 07-24-2019 05:31 PM

I repair sewing machines, and the idea that a magnet can harm them is a myth. Google it. It is an old, old theory based on very strong magnets...much stronger than anyone in an average household could ever have. I have a longarm, 2 embroidery machines, and 2 sewing machines,all computerized and all have had magnetic strips on them for years and years with no ill effects.It's just one of those myths that won't go away!

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 8280712)
Donna13350: if you have computerized machines, I'd be very careful about using magnetic strips on the actual machine. My dealer has recommended that I not do this as it can hurt the computer. JMHO

Wooden skewers for pushing fabric points under the needle
NexCare clear medical tape for grip tape on rulers
Altoids (tiny) tins for holding pins
Bingo wand to pick up dropped pins
Cork board for putting up cartoons, blocks, needles, etc.
TV table to hold tabletop ironing board
Plastic bins and boxes to store fabric and projects
Nylon scrubbie to clean lint and tiny threads off cutting mat
Assorted glass jars for notions
Fishing tackle box to hold tools for when I go to class/guild
Hmmm....nothing else coming to mind but I know there's more

quiltingshorttimer 07-24-2019 07:06 PM

besides the things others have mentioned--I usually "float" quilts when I work on LA and use magnetic bars; an antique muffin tin for notions, my cutting table is an adjustable drafting table and my stool at the LA is a drafting stool. I use net scrubbies to remove marking chalk; a laser level for squaring; the toe of an old stocking instead of a net on thread cones; drafting T-square for squaring up; freezer paper; flannel backed table cloth (as a design wall); my phone camera! And in the long arm work space, I use a folding drying rack to hold tops waiting to quilt & also use a pad and quilt on the dining room table to press wideback or tops; a handheld steamer.

Bobbinalong 07-24-2019 10:11 PM

- A baking tray with magnets glued underneath will stop small items falling off.
- Silicon non stick sheet with a hole cut for the needle for free motion quilting.
- The thingies that you put between your toes to paint them is handy to keep bobbins of thread together. Wind a few at the beginning of a project and have one thingy for each colour.
- A cheap light plastic toothbrush holder with suckers stuck on the end of my machine to hold snips, ripper, screwdriver, stiletto (kebab stick), pencil . . all the things that you want to put your hand straight on.
-I'm sure everyone has stacks of plastic shoeboxes to keep the different sizes of scraps in.
-Plastic video boxes are handy for small projects, templates, blocks, hexies etc. Clear so you can see what is in the if you, like me never get around to labeling things! I have a library of them on a shelf.

There must be more.