Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Request for Help - The Freezer Paper Novice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/request-help-freezer-paper-novice-t21878.html)

earthwalker 06-25-2009 11:47 PM

Hello everyone, I am seeking your advice please. I am contributing to a quilt project and have been sent my "square" which has been marked up with margins and beautifully "serged" to prevent unravelling. It has also been backed with freezer paper.

As I am a total novice to the "freezer paper phenomenon", do I gently peel it off, do my applique and embroidery and then reapply it? Or is the idea to leave it attached and stitch through it?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I am a bit of a traditionalist and learned to quilt using the English paper-piecing method and doing loads of handwork. The only thing I know about freezer paper is that it seems very useful but found primarily in America. Despite being a bit of a techno junkie, I have only just started quilting using my trusty old Singer and I am yet to abandon my trad. paper foundations and thimbles.

Thank you

patricej 06-25-2009 11:53 PM

if you're going to do machine applique or machine embroidery, you'll find that the freezer paper backing makes a great stabilizer, so leave it on and stitch through it.

if you're going to embroider or applique by hand, you'll need to remove it.

LindaR 06-26-2009 06:01 AM

I usually back with F.P. if I am machine appliquing. It really help keep it smooth. If they require hand applique then it will definately need to come off

amma 06-26-2009 07:21 AM

I will have to try this method with machine applique and embroidery....never heard of using freezer paper this way 8) 8) 8)

RedGarnet222 06-26-2009 09:59 AM

Me either amma .... I have always used stablizers. Interesting medium to use for that though. Huh.....

tslowery 06-26-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I usually back with F.P. if I am machine appliquing. It really help keep it smooth. If they require hand applique then it will definately need to come off

Are you saying you put freezer paper on back of fabric and then stitch to your quilt with the paper behind the applique are is it on top and then you take it off. :oops: :oops: :oops: I just wondering if that paper is stitched to the quilt and left inside of the applique?? Dumb question??????

earthwalker 06-26-2009 10:32 PM

Ah, all is clear now...Thanks so much for your help. Now I just have to decide on machine or handwork and get started.

LindaR 06-27-2009 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by tslowery

Originally Posted by LindaR

Are you saying you put freezer paper on back of fabric and then stitch to your quilt with the paper behind the applique are is it on top and then you take it off. :oops: :oops: :oops: I just wondering if that paper is stitched to the quilt and left inside of the applique?? Dumb question??????

do you machine work and then remove the paper....some will remain but not much

Carol W 06-27-2009 12:40 PM

I also didn't know that freezer paper could be used for machine embroidery.

I can't wait to try it!! :)

quiltersew 07-01-2009 10:06 AM

I have used coffee filters for the stabilizer when machine appliquing.....