Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A request to owners of vintage to the latest machines --- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/request-owners-vintage-latest-machines-t191088.html)

bearisgray 06-07-2012 10:59 AM

A request to owners of vintage to the latest machines ---

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to do some straight stitching with your various machines - on the same pieces of cloth - tell us what machines were used - and then have us guess which machine did which stitching.

I'm wondering if there is that much difference between the stitches of the older machines and the new ones - assuming that they are all in tip-top working order.

DawnFurlong 06-07-2012 11:42 AM

Hmmm...that is an interesting question!! I have a vintage singer that I LOVE, and I have a Janome MC 4800. I might just have to stitch a few lines on each and post the picture! I will try to do that either tonight or tomorrow. :o Am very interested to see different samples.

misskira 06-07-2012 12:19 PM

I will give it a shot tonight with my two vintage singers and brother pc420

Lori S 06-07-2012 12:39 PM

I would but , my vintage singer takes a special needle, and now I can only get one size... so it would not really be a good apples to apples comparison... since I do not have the equal or same needle for the newer machine.

Jan in VA 06-07-2012 01:58 PM

WISH I had a good enough camera to get the pics we'd need for this test!! What a neat idea,:)

virtualbernie 06-07-2012 04:02 PM

I'll give it a try later:thumbup: Might be useful to know if the machine has the ability to zigzag or not. Someone on this board stated quite a while ago that straight stitch only machines make a straighter stitch because they had less moving parts than a zigzag machine. Made sense to me at the time but it would be fun to see how it measures up!

bearisgray 06-07-2012 04:04 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing these samples.

DawnFurlong 06-07-2012 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wish I had a better camera, I am not sure how clear this will look. I did three lines of stitches on each machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340548[/ATTACH]

earthwalker 06-07-2012 08:14 PM

Cool idea. You wouldn't have a hope of guessing what mine is.....an old '50s Pinnock made in South Australia (most Aussies haven't even heard of them:)

DawnFurlong 06-07-2012 08:44 PM

I forgot to say which sewing machines I have. I have a Janome MC4800 and a Singer 15-91. My Janome isn't top of the line - but computerized versus mechanical. :o

Actually, I think the tension is a little off on my Singer. Not sure what adjustments to make - because whatever I do doesn't really change the look of the stitch (well, ultimately it does - but seems to be a fine line between it looks the same as the previous adjustments or suddenly it is clearly off). I think the stitching on the underside of the fabric is often slightly nicer than what I see on the front - very straight, concise.