Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rescue me, Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rescue-me-please-t306046.html)

dsch 07-30-2019 03:43 PM

Rescue me, Please

In 1970, my mother made a bridesmaid dress for my BFF'w wedding. It was made of velour with a velour/velvet ribbon.
I have painstakingly deconstructed it to make a 50-year-anniversary wall hanging for my friend. It is about 24" x 24" that has 4 embroidered areas. Those areas are to be "framed" with the ribbon. The frame has mitered corners. However, my problem is that I cannot figure out how to keep the ribbon in place in order to sew it down! The velour dress area is soooo slippery that the frame keeps sliding around while trying to sew it in place. I did put some lightweight stabilizer on the back and stitched around the outer edges. Luckily, I had enough fabric that I made a prototype to experiment on. I have tried pinning, taping, basting, etc. to no avail. I have not tried spray basting or glue of any kind. How can I attach the mitered, framing ribbon so that I can then think about doing some quilting on it? Any & all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Tartan 07-30-2019 04:14 PM

On your trial piece, try little dabs of Elmer’s washable glue stick under where the ribbon will cover it. I have used glue stick to temporarily hold appliqués in place before sewing.

cathyvv 07-30-2019 08:09 PM

I was going to suggest basting spray, but elmers washable glue provides much more flexibility. Great idea, Tartan.

Ariannaquilts 07-30-2019 08:16 PM

I too was going to suggest the glue, I guess as they say great minds think a like!

Murphy224 07-31-2019 02:15 AM

If the glue doesn't work out, maybe try Wash Away Wonder tape made by Dritz or Collins. It is a double sided tape 1/4 inch wide. I use it to tape zippers in place before I sew and makes it much easier than pinning. I would put it first on the ribbon then peel off the paper backing and stick to your velvet. You can get it most anywhere sewing supplies are sold...or online.

KwiltyKahy 07-31-2019 03:02 AM

I think Murphy has the answer. My first thought was glue, but I was concerned about it wicking through the ribbon. The wonder tape should work out well and it doesn't need to be washed out.

And think the whole idea of the wall hanging is outstanding. Hope we get to see pictures when it is done.

juliasb 07-31-2019 03:22 AM

This is what I would suggest too. You will get a very good hold with the Elmer's glue.

linmid 07-31-2019 04:35 AM

murphy224 and I agree this is so easy.

FWLover 07-31-2019 09:54 AM

I am Camping and don’t have it with me for brand but there is one highly recommended double sided tape for sewing that will not gum up your sewing needle. Put tape on the ribbon, remove a little of the paper off the other side, place it and sew. There might be a concern re the moisture in the glue leaving a spot on those particular fabrics. I did some work with hemming And altering those for prom and bridal. They can be a little fussy if you get a some where you don’t want it. Husband goes home for chores in am. If he can find the package I will private message you tomorrow later in the am

ktbb 08-01-2019 05:00 AM

If the glue doesn't work, try shaving a small strip along the edge where the ribbon will be placed. It's the pile that's keeping the ribbon from stabilizing and this might help provide a stable base...