Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Respect The Work of Others (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/respect-work-others-t257271.html)

BettyGee 11-23-2014 08:24 PM

Respect The Work of Others

The talented people who design the patterns for the quilts we make have their work protected by copyright. We should respect those rights. I erred when I advised that I had a copy of a magazine containing the pattern that some of our members wanted. I have no right to copy that pattern and give it to others. I will not violate the rights of the designer. The pattern for the quilt that some members want is available for sale. The designer is entitled to sell the pattern while I do not have that right. I apologize to all for any misunderstanding.

Barb_MO 11-23-2014 08:39 PM

Good decision

Jan in VA 11-23-2014 10:43 PM

This post makes me wonder if you received a hand slap from someone....like maybe the designer? If so, I'm sorry that happened. Knowing what you now state, and having had a personal pattern infringed upon by another shop teacher, I try to be meticulous about this topic. It would be better if we all remembered that the law states the designer has the right to benefit financially from her/his work.

Jan in VA

Peckish 11-23-2014 11:00 PM

Thank you for stating this. I'm not a designer, but I must confess it does bother me when I see people asking for free patterns instead of buying them.

DOTTYMO 11-23-2014 11:18 PM

The only time I feel copying and giving to a genuine quilter to make is when the designer has stopped printing the pattern and shops are sold out., is perhaps permissible .
Would you.?

woody 11-23-2014 11:44 PM

I have passed on the original pattern when I have finished with it, but I don't copy them.

patricej 11-24-2014 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6981875)
The only time I feel copying and giving to a genuine quilter to make is when the designer has stopped printing the pattern and shops are sold out., is perhaps permissible .
Would you.?

i don't think it would be permissible by law, even under those circumstances.
you'd have to giver her/him the original pattern packet - and not keep a copy for yourself.

HettyB 11-24-2014 04:04 AM

Dear BettyGee,

I think you have been very brave for starting this thread. Nobody likes to admit to mistakes no matter how innocently made. But if we don’t say anything then how will others avoid making the same mistake?

First of all I am not a lawyer/solicitor, but my late husband was an author and illustrator with over 30 books published with major publishing houses and I can tell you, that the majority of people do not understand copyright. (That is why I have a lawyer). BTW, did you know you can’t copyright an idea or a title?

The internet if full of mis-information often written by people who are not qualified to give advice. (Me included!)

Because copyright differs: from country to country; by medium (print/recordings/video); copyright terms – years in effect from publication date and/or from death of creator; overlap in design, trademark and patent. It is a legal minefield. Copyright infringement is a complex business and often expensive if there is a dispute.

Most Governments have the information you need on their own websites (however you still need to be a lawyer to understand it all).

There is a mistaken belief that just because the book/magazine is out of print, sold out or the creator has died - copyright doesn’t apply. In many cases it still does. Some of my husband’s books are out of print but I would be seriously upset if someone else distributed/copied or used his work without my permission. The publishing house that still has distribution rights would be ticked off and the lawyers would be delighted!

For those thinking about become designers and selling - copyrighting a quilt design is going to be very difficult – unless it is so radically new and innovative. I had come across this link only a couple of days ago. It is well worth a read. http://www.bravelittlechicken.com/qu...the-law-series.

However, the one aspect of copyright infringement that I find more offensive and outrageous is when someone tries to pass off another designer's work as their own and makes money off it. The words fraud and theft come to mind.

The majority of people in the creative community are respectful of others work and want to encourage others.

HettyB

Onebyone 11-24-2014 05:05 AM

copyrighting a quilt design is going to be very difficult – unless it is so radically new and innovative.
This is so true. Most patterns have the standard copyright law printed on the back, doesn't mean the pattern itself is copyrighted at all. Then some designers will add Rules like item cannot be made and shown in a show, item can't be made but once, etc. These are rules and rules are not copyrights. Never copy a bought pattern to sell or give away and always give the designer credit, copyright or not.

janRN 11-24-2014 05:31 AM

On a related note, we post lots of pics of quilts here that we make. I think it's important to give the name of the pattern. It gives credit due to the designer and offers others the chance to purchase or seek out that pattern. Lots of times I'll see a quilt pictured here and think it was designed by the poster. Then I see the pattern in a catalog. Even if you've changed the pattern, I think a comment such as "adapted from" or "based on" a pattern by so & so would be respectful to that designer.