Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Respecting Long Arm quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/respecting-long-arm-quilters-t162245.html)

maryb119 10-21-2011 05:03 PM

My mom has a long arm and she's had some health issues so she's not been able to quilt. I have been helping her with the quilts she has waiting to be quilted. It is not as easy as it looks!!! I am gaining a great deal of respect for long arm quilters. They make it look so effortless and do beautiful work! I am usually a hand quilter so I am learning something new.

suebee 10-21-2011 05:04 PM

Good for you...what an opportunity. I hope that Mom gets well soon.

quilttiludrop 10-21-2011 05:15 PM

Hugs to both of you! Long arm quilting is a horse of a different color! I don't think I'll ever get bored with it!

valleyquiltermo 10-21-2011 05:23 PM

I hope your Mom gets better soonest.
Good for you for jumping in and trying to help your Mom.
I love my LA, and I love doing quilts for other people.
They are always soooo happy about them when they are done.

MacThayer 10-21-2011 05:24 PM

Goodness, who would ever dis-respect a LAQ? I think the work they do is awesome! I'm at the "baby steps" stage of learning LAQ, and that is difficult enough. I don't even know if I'm capable of learning the "Art" of Long Arm Quilting. Because it is an Art Form, apart from the quilt itself. You can teach it, and make someone an "OK" LAQ. But then there are those true artists with the needle, and they can turn the quilting into poetry in motion. It's stunning to see. I have nothing but the deepest respect and appreciation of Long Arm Quilters, and can't imagine why anyone else wouldn't hold the same opinion.

QuiltnNan 10-21-2011 08:05 PM

sorry to hear about your mom. the whole quilting process is more difficult than it looks. that's why folks want to pay $25 for a quilt :) i hope you show us some of your quilting

suezquilts 10-21-2011 09:46 PM

I'm hoping your Mom will get well soon.
And such a sweet person you are helping her.
I often think I need to have my kido's trained, just in case.
Enjoy.

BETTY62 10-21-2011 09:48 PM

I am sorry your Mom is ill and hope she recovers soon. I know she really appreciates your help in keeping her work moving along.

ckcowl 10-22-2011 01:20 AM

i have (wished for) an apprentice- for a few years! there are times when i get swamped and oh so wish someone in the family had been willing to learn & practice- and could step in & give me a hand...it is so nice that you are stepping up.
we all wish your mother a speedy recovery- in the mean time-
you learning a new technique is always a great thing!
my kids stepped up a few years ago and helped---but then they each moved away-
my nephew is back in the area- and interested in getting back into quilting-so i am so hoping he will decide to spend time with me and the big machine too-
you never know when you might really need a (back up :) )

quilticing 10-22-2011 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have (wished for) an apprentice- for a few years! there are times when i get swamped and oh so wish someone in the family had been willing to learn & practice- and could step in & give me a hand...it is so nice that you are stepping up.
we all wish your mother a speedy recovery- in the mean time-
you learning a new technique is always a great thing!
my kids stepped up a few years ago and helped---but then they each moved away-
my nephew is back in the area- and interested in getting back into quilting-so i am so hoping he will decide to spend time with me and the big machine too-
you never know when you might really need a (back up :) )

Appreciate your message. Yes we get swamped (that's a good thing). The investment in this business is more than most will tackle. Finding good help is a Godsend. Health issues are slowing me down so . . .