Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retail quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retail-quilts-t135255.html)

MellieKQuilter 07-04-2011 06:36 PM

regardless of how they are made, they arent made with blood, sweat and tears, and not to mention love that quilters put into their quilts. I think that is what makes the homemade ones different from the store bought ones... Most everything we make can be bought, and for a lot cheaper, but that isnt the point. we make things for our friends and loved ones (and sometimes as give aways to someone who needs it) because it means something more when it comes from our hands. :)

irishrose 07-04-2011 06:37 PM

I don't think we can compare storemade cookies with those quilts. A home made quilt is quite expensive. Cookies are much less expensive to make at home than to buy.

Maggiesmom 07-04-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Quilts like that have their place. We have a lot of pets, and I would never expose something I had slaved over for hours to their playing and roughousing.

I agee, I have my quilts in the guest room and hanging on walls and racks, but in keeping with the idea of quilts on the beds I will buy these for our king size bed because the dogs all spend the day sleeping on our bed.

bearisgray 07-04-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
regardless of how they are made, they arent made with blood, sweat and tears, and not to mention love that quilters put into their quilts. I think that is what makes the homemade ones different from the store bought ones... Most everything we make can be bought, and for a lot cheaper, but that isnt the point. we make things for our friends and loved ones (and sometimes as give aways to someone who needs it) because it means something more when it comes from our hands. :)

If made by "slave laborers" - the quilts probably are made with "blood, sweat, and tears"

QuiltnNan 07-04-2011 07:35 PM

the quilt on my bed was purchased at a catalog store before my hobby began, about 15-20 years ago. i believe it was in the neighborhood of $25. it was hand-made out of the country, shall we say. it's a feathered star pattern. the fabrics were not good and it has two small tears [my fault, but may not have happened with better fabric]. i washed it yesterday and noticed that the edges are somewhat worn. so it's never going to be an antique, but i feel i've gotten my money's worth. i don't think i could ever duplicate that quilt.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-04-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter

If made by "slave laborers" - the quilts probably are made with "blood, sweat, and tears"

That was my thought too :(

leiladylei54 07-04-2011 07:44 PM

I purchased several from Ross and used them on our beds before I got into quilting. I think they have their place as I'm not sure that I would enjoy the doggies after I've slaved over making one. The purchased ones (wedding ring and star designs) have lasted for years. I think I would prefer the quilts I've made used a little more gently than stretched out and pulled like a tug of war type idea that DH can do when he sleeps rolled up in the quilt like a burrito. LOL

aorlflood 07-04-2011 07:53 PM

Has anybody seen the quilts at Cracker Barrel? They are BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure they are made in China, but still quite stunning.

chris_quilts 07-04-2011 08:00 PM

Homemade cookies do not compare to handmade quilts, price wise, BUT homemade cookies are just as precious to some people as would be a handmade quilt. I know, I provide homemade goodies to some veterans at our local VA hospital and they are treated like they're gold. Homemade treats are also a treasure for many people who don't have the time, knowledge, skills, what have you to make them. Frankly, my cookies usually have fewer artistic creative design differences in them than do my quilts.

ladyredhawk 07-04-2011 10:05 PM

look at the stiching there was several women quilting it and getting paid very little and they buy in bulk thats the only way they can sell them so cheap. And this is only my opinion.the stiches are far apart in places.