Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rethinking my basting..should I redo? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rethinking-my-basting-should-i-redo-t265057.html)

ruby2shoes 05-10-2015 02:40 PM

Rethinking my basting..should I redo?

I have just finished pin basting a 96" x 96" quilt. Luckily I have a large table 95" long and 45" wide so with the use of bulldog clips was able to do so in 3 sections. I centred my 3 layers on the table, and starting from the centre clipped them down one at a time and pin basted. When I had completed that section I unclipped the sandwich and repositioned and reclipped it so that the table top had half "basted quilt" and half un-basted quilt on it. I then pinned the unbasted section. Next, I moved the whole quilt the other way to repeat the process on the other end so in effect, I was able to pin baste the quilt in 3 sections.
Now, it has just struck me like a steam train that when I re-positioned the quilt to baste the second and third sections that whilst I clipped the unbasted sandwich back to the table top nice and taut, I did not clip the already pin basted section, instead leaving it folded over itself along the length of the table. So my question is...would the weight of the basted section of the quilt be enough to maintain my tautness when I pinned the other sections or should I undo my pins on the last 2 sections and redo this time also clamping the already basted middle section (insert weeping woman here!)

bearisgray 05-10-2015 02:50 PM

I will answer with how I pin baste -

(I make sure the top and backing are pressed before starting this) (I also wash the fabrics before cutting them - and the batting - if washable - before using it. But that's a whole another topic)
and
I also have a fairly long table - 96 x 38 inches

I do center the backing on the table and smooth it so there are no wrinkles in it - but not pulled tight - I do tape this middle section to the table so it does not slide around.

I then weight the sides down with yardsticks, or curtain rods - I just fold some fabric over them and encase them - this provides enough weight to keep the backing from rumpling - and holds it slightly taut.

Then I layer the batting and top - this is where I spend a LOT of time making sure that it is lined up "square" - there is fabric hanging over both sides of the table - but what is ON the table it "right"

I pin as far as I can go - then I slide everything one way or the other as you do - I do retape the backing to the table - but don't pull it drum tight.

So far - I have not had wrinkles on the back.

I did learn that pullilng the back drum tight was not a good idea for me - because when the fabric was released - then the top was bunched up - not much - but a little bit.

Dina 05-10-2015 04:05 PM

I think you will be okay. I actually do my sandwiching the same way. I do the center section and then each side section. I used to clamp stuff back down for each section, but I have quit doing that. Two-thirds of the quilt hangs down as I do each side, and I believe that is weight enough to work for me. I have had no problems doing it this way. (I just did one this way today....)

I guess you could look on the back and see if it sort of looks the same as the center section does. That might help you decide.

Dina

Prism99 05-10-2015 05:33 PM

Tautness in the backing is not desirable. You only want the backing to be smooth and flat, not taut. If the backing is stretched while basting, it will spring back to its normal position when allowed and can actually cause problems with the quilting. So actually I think the way you did it is preferable to unpinning and re-doing it as you describe.

ruby2shoes 05-11-2015 12:03 AM

Thankyou everyone, most appreciated.

ManiacQuilter2 05-11-2015 04:09 AM

I would just lay out the quilt on your large table with the backing side up and examine the back of you quilt closely. I never clipped the already pin side of the quilt because the weight was sufficient~ never had a problem. But you don't want your backing to be to tight like a drum or what Prism99 says will happen.

Jingle 05-11-2015 05:04 AM

After pin basting the first section. I do the center first, when I move it I do clamp the part already pinned also. I smooth out each layer to keep them straight and flat.

tessagin 05-11-2015 05:30 AM

It'll be fine the way you did it as long as you smoothed all layers without pulling to tight. I usually smooth the backing after having pressed/ironed it. Then the next 2 layers. Then baste with your favorite method.

francie yuhas 05-11-2015 07:30 AM

If you look for Sharon Shaumber's you tube video on sandwiching a quilt,you'll see she does it with boards....on a very small surface. I did it on a couple of quilts..works great.

ruby2shoes 05-11-2015 12:24 PM

:)Thanks again....will lay the quilt out and have a good look this afternoon when I get home from work but I'm feeling a bit more confident now that all will be okay after reading your posts. When I said "taut" I don't think I pulled the layers tight but rather as you all suggested, made sure each layer was smooth and flat before clipping and pinning. Cheers all