Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retired teacher? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retired-teacher-t313831.html)

SallyS 01-12-2021 08:51 AM

Retired teacher?

How many of us are retired teachers who love quilting? I knew I wasn't an artist when my 1st grade teacher held up my purple orange juicer as a bad example. In college I would never have taken an art class if it weren't required. I fell in love with my first color wheel, became a professor teaching interior design and all levels of sewing, too. And lots about color!

I became serious about sewing when I needed maternity clothes, had very little money, but could buy fabric for 39 cents a yard. I took classes in adult school, then in college. Now I'm thinking of making a small art quilt of a purple orange juicer.

What's your background, and what brought you to sewing/quilting?

juliasb 01-12-2021 09:15 AM

I am a retired Social Worker. I have been retired for a very long time. I started quilting after my retirement with a vengeance. I sewed most of my own clothing since I was in Junior High School. I made my first skirt with I was 10 and that fabric was $.39 too. It was a dark pink color great for in the early 60's. I rarely make a garment any more and have gravitated to quilting. My machines are going all the time now with a quilty project in mind. My daughter will be the retired teacher one day and I hope she takes up quilting. I have a big stash for her waiting.

sewingsuz 01-12-2021 09:15 AM

I wanted cloths and no money available so when I took Home Ec, I started flying. Stay awake sometimes until midnight making what was the latest style. I was Thirteen then and never quilt pressing on that foot control. I will turn 80in April, eeeck

maryb119 01-12-2021 03:21 PM

Retired bridal seamstress here. Also the mom of 6 so something always needed sewing or mending. I made my first outfit for me over Christmas vacation in 5th grade. I made most of my school clothes and my sisters too. Made my kids clothes when they were little. I quilted too. I made a quilt that showed in 3 AQS shows. Now that I am retired, I get to make what I want to make. Grandma is my name and quilting is my game.

Maggie_Sue 01-12-2021 03:44 PM

I am a retired Nurse and started sewing in high school, as fabric was much cheaper than ready wear. I made most of my clothes then and later for two children and special dresses for my mother, until the 70's then it was more economical to purchase ready made clothing, I then concentrated on knitting, crocheting, and counted cross stitch. Counted cross stitch led me to quilting, as I had done blocks for a small quilt. Been quilting ever since!!!
My daughter is a teacher perhaps she will take up quilting one day!!!

Quiltwoman44 01-12-2021 03:56 PM

Oh I left home with the clothes on my back so i figured out how to make clothing and coats for myself. later for my son too. then made crafts of all sorts, tole painting, etc. Then quilting took over. Still going on the quilting ride! Enjoying every minute of it.

Julienm1 01-12-2021 03:58 PM

Retired elem teacher and elem school librarian. Took Home Ec in 7th grade learned to sew but didn't start quilting until my 50s. Call me a late bloomer!

Mdegenhart 01-12-2021 05:56 PM

I liked sewing as a preteen and teen because I could make clothes nobody else had.

Abashobbes 01-12-2021 05:59 PM

I'm a not retired yet (mid 50s now) nurse anesthetist but planning my retirement of quilting. Because I'm still working I'm building up my stash of fabric and quilt kits for those days. Now I'm not sure I'll live long enough to use up what I've acquired! I started sewing as a child sewing dresses by hand for my doll when 6-7 years old. Started using my mom's old singer at 9 and made my own clothes all through high school when it was economical to sew. I picked up quilting when I volunteered to make quilts out of the clothing of a friend's mother who had died. I had to learn how to quilt then! Now I try to quilt as much as I have time for.... work always seems to get in the way!

Anita

quiltingshorttimer 01-12-2021 06:58 PM

retired high school social studies teacher/school counselor--took up quilting (started sewing as a kid)about 4 yrs before I retired--since I retired I spend probably 4-6hrs /day quilting. I love the process and it keeps me sane--and maybe a little fitter as I sew upstairs and quilt downstairs!