Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retreat questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retreat-questions-t246074.html)

ocydroma 04-30-2014 09:21 PM

Retreat questions

I am a new member of a guild and they are debating on doing a retreat. I really want to go to a few but not sure how to find out about up coming retreats. I live in Georgia. is there a way I can go about finding out if someone is having a retreat and basically inviting myself to it? Or is that a really tacky thing to do? If it's not, how do I go about finding out when and where some are being held? I am right at the GA-AL line so going to alabama wouldn't be a problem depending where the retreat was located. I just don't know what retreat etiquette is. I appreciate any and all suggestions

ckcowl 05-01-2014 03:11 AM

you can do a search for 'quilt retreats', check with your local quilt shops, browse the on-line shops (joining the 'fabshophop' puts you in touch with about 130 quilt shops across the country-many of which sponsor quilt retreats throughout the year)
as for- inviting yourself...most of the time everyone (even non-quilters) are welcome ---but space is limited- you have to sign up & pay for your 'spot' before the retreat. start with your local resources (quilt shops) also, favorite authors/designers - they often have retreats listed on their calendars/tours too. retreat's vary in many ways- length (weekend up to a week or two) price, what all it includes, what you need to take---there are retreats in woodsy, vacation places, on board cruise ships, in big cities- some sponsored by a fabric designer, pattern designer, big company or little quilt shop- sometimes they are just (sit & sew) retreats where they do not provide anything, or teach you anything- you take your supplies, your project and get away from home for a few days- to sit & sew at your leisure. (sometimes called a 'quilt camp) sometimes sewing machine companies sponsor retreats- allowing you the opportunity to use their new machines and see what all the bells & whistles will do...there are lots of options.

mpspeedy2 05-01-2014 03:12 AM

In my experience with retreats they are usually sponsored by a guild. The guild often uses some of it's group treasury toward the expenses. They usually only open a slot up to an outsider if they need more people to meet their expenses. I would enquire at your local quilt shop about contact information for local guilds. The only way I have seen strangers at the couple of retreats I attended was if they were sponsored by a member of the guild. Each person attending a retreat usually has an obligation of some sort to the group like providing a snack or bringing some equipment to be shared during the event. A perfect stranger should be very uncomfortable. Like showing up at a wedding reception uninvited and gift less. Most retreat facilities also have shared sleeping facilities, not beds but bedrooms and baths.

omacookie 05-01-2014 03:15 AM

Quilt, talk, eat chocolate, rip a bit, repeat or reverse the order. You do get a lots done and fellow quilters are caring and sharing people. Have fun when you do get to go. Hugs and candies to you also a few scraps.

zennia 05-01-2014 03:31 AM

Quilt retreats are so much fun. Even if you go alone you will come home with a few friends. Everyone is friendly and away for a few days to relax and have fun sewing etc. My local quilt shops sponsor them in my area.

PaperPrincess 05-01-2014 04:15 AM

In my area there is at least one quilt shop that organizes retreats. They are open to anyone, however as previous posters have stated, there is a limited number of spots available, so you need to reserve yours as soon as you decide.

toverly 05-01-2014 04:56 AM

If you are on the southern edge of the GA AL line, Quilting by the Bay in Panama City,FL hosts two a year. One in the Nov. and one in Jan.

cjsews 05-01-2014 05:11 AM

I hope you can find a retreat. They are so much fun. Some offer classes and some are just to work on whatever projects you want. Most important is the camaraderie, snacks, laughs and encouragement from others.

QuiltNama 05-01-2014 06:29 AM

In my area the quilt shops usually sponsor the retreats. Any retreats that are going on, they list when, where and the cost to attend. Most require a deposit and list what they will be doing at the retreat, classes, massages, if you want to work on your projects only, etc. Have been to several and really enjoy them. Lots of laughter, eating, projects, new ideas and just in general.

quiltstringz 05-01-2014 07:41 AM

Do a browse on quilt retreats, then when you find some places you could reach out to them. They can probably put you in touch with some groups that have rented space to see if they might have space and need someone to join them. I know in our area while the quilds and shops do retreats, so do small groups and groups of friends that sew together. Often when we are wanting to go someplace where we can't meet the minumum we will ask everyone to reach out to find someone.