Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reusing Hexagon papers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reusing-hexagon-papers-t256931.html)

kindleaddict63 11-17-2014 02:17 AM

Reusing Hexagon papers

I currently have several projects on the go, one of which is a hexagon project. I purchased my hexagons from paperpieces.com and use a glue pen, but as I progressed through the project the hexies needed to be very lightly bent. I am now considering the best way to make the paper hexagons fit for use again. I am thinking that I need to find a large book and insert the hexies in the pages ? Any experiences with reusing hexagon papers?

Alice PD 11-17-2014 03:46 AM

Try lightly spraying them with Best Press. Best Press seems to penetrate the fibers of fabric really well, so I think it would penetrate paper as well (I had some Best Press in a paper cup and before long the cup was soaked) Anyway, lightly spray it on the paper pieces, let it penetrate for a minute or so, then lightly press the pieces. After that, leave them under a cutting mat for the night.

ckcowl 11-17-2014 04:11 AM

I have no experience when using glue, I do use ( thousands) of paper pieces from PaperPieces. Com, but I use starch, not glue ( Missie Carpenter's technique from Traditional Primitives) my papers do get bent a bit at times. I am very careful to flatten/smooth them out when I remove them, then I keep them in a flat tin * like decks of cards would come in*
They have been reusable many, many times even with some slight ( wrinkles)

Onebyone 11-17-2014 05:30 AM

I don't want to save used hex papers, but I have reused a few when I have run out on the go. I use the glue basting when making them and haven't had a problem reusing with the bend left in.

tucsonquilter 11-17-2014 05:34 AM

I have made 3 hexie quilts in the past year. My current is a king size 1.5" hexie quilt. I reuse my papers. I iron them which flattens them out. Eventually I do have to throw them away because they do not have the stability anymore but that is after numerous use.

ManiacQuilter2 11-17-2014 07:01 AM

I haven't used too many but I would assume you could at least use them a few times before they wore out.

nativetexan 11-17-2014 07:02 AM

I use the mylar ones.

Geri B 11-17-2014 10:43 AM

I don't reuse....I either cut my own with GO/Sizzix, or order from PaperPieces......reasonable enough....they get pretty dogeared from sewing...but that's me

kindleaddict63 11-17-2014 11:22 AM

Thanks for your tips I will certainly try them out! I know that they are often touted as having the ability to be reused several times so being frugal when I can, I like to reuse.

tessagin 11-17-2014 11:33 AM

I cut a split half way into my hexies for easy removal. The split makes it easier and they go back into shape. I use comic board and also layers of freezer paper. When you're done hit 'em quick with the iron and it flattens them for future use.