Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reverting to old ways after trying new ways (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reverting-old-ways-after-trying-new-ways-t250251.html)

bearisgray 07-16-2014 12:46 PM

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Have any of you reverted to "an old way" of doing something after trying "a new way"?

Examples:

Hand basting or pin basting a quilt sandwich instead of spray basting?

Hand basting an intersection instead of pasting it?

Rotary cutting instead of cutting with a die cutter?

Reverting to using a mechanical machine after using a very high-end computerized machine?

Using a regular lead pencil or chalk to mark instead of a marker that uses liquid?

A plain old dry iron instead of a steam iron?

Hand piecing instead of machine piecing?

I may be completely out of touch - and usually I am out of step - but sometimes I am just more comfortable with "an old(er) way" of doing something than the most "modern" way.

Anyone else?

nanna-up-north 07-16-2014 12:49 PM

I totally agree.

Treasureit 07-16-2014 12:49 PM

It takes me a while to try something to see if it is going to work for me...but yes, I have given up a couple new ways for the old. I took a couple different classes on hand embroidery...one of them I could not get used to the technique and went back to my way.

Onebyone 07-16-2014 01:35 PM

Rarely I go back to the old way in quilting after trying a new way. The old way is just that, old because the new way wasn't known then.

Stitchnripper 07-16-2014 01:38 PM

I guess I take what I like and what works for me, whether it is new or old. I like my vintage machines, and am not even tempted by all the ones with bells and whistles, but I am totally convinced about glue basting with Elmer's washable school glue. I have thread basted and pin basted and tried spray basting (didn't like it at all). Same goes for other things. What works best for me.

ManiacQuilter2 07-16-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6804118)
I totally agree.

I totally agree too !! I find I am more successful using the OLD methods that I was taught.

bj 07-16-2014 02:16 PM

The only "new" way you mentioned that I've actually tried is a steam iron and it forced me to dry as it's started leaking! I will definitely go back to the new way when I can get to the store for a new iron. Don't know what to look for. Mine is cordless and I love(d) it, but I'm not sure they make it anymore. Please don't recommend irons as I don't want to hijack this thread (0:

Jackie Spencer 07-16-2014 02:47 PM

Oh yes! Progress is a wonderful thing, but sometimes I revert back to all of the above! And love doing it!!

ghostrider 07-16-2014 03:45 PM

For several of those listed, I have no need or even desire to try the 'new' way. Spray basting, pasting, die cutting, liquid markers...not on my 'gotta do this' list at all. Neither are sergers, embroidery machines, specialty rulers or templates, mechanical seam rippers, comic book boards, or spring loaded scissors. I'll just stick with my 'proven' ways. I've been quilting for so long that it was kind of funny to see rotary cutting referred to as the 'old' way though. :)

Becky Crafts 07-16-2014 05:01 PM

I'm with you! I will try a new way of doing things, but if I don't like it, I do it my way the next time. I tried spray basting a few quilts back & gave that up as a bad deal after it took two of us to straighten the mess out! Right after that I was given six cans of spray baste by two different friends who didn't like it. Guess I wasn't alone! I'll try again on a smaller project just to use it up, but never again on a big quilt!