Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   reviews needed on Electric Quilt 7 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reviews-needed-electric-quilt-7-a-t195981.html)

savannahrandons 07-28-2012 06:04 AM

reviews needed on Electric Quilt 7

hi,
I am thinking of getting this program, but know nothing about it. I am a new quilter, only been doing it for about 1 month. I just don't want to jump into something without knowing a little about it first. I am a little computer savy. Any information on this program, or something like it, would be great. I am really interested in the scan part so I can use my own fabrics in the program. thanks for the input.
patricia

BellaBoo 07-28-2012 06:49 AM

I have had EQ since the floppy disc version. EQ7 has more features then I'll ever use but the features I do use are great. Most fabric lines online have EQ files to put the line in the EQ library. EQ website has thousands of fabric files to upload. I have found fabrics I bought years ago in their library. Don't scan your fabric, that's too much work. Take a picture of it and then import it into the EQ library. The quilt shop fabric pics, all the work is done for you to put in EQ library. I use the import and trace feature and converting patterns to paper piecing the most.

dunster 07-28-2012 07:04 AM

I initially bought EQ6 and upgraded to 7. I also have the Dear Jane software, which is based on EQ5, which is how I know what a great improvement was made with version 6. I use EQ with almost every quilt that I make, and also make EQ projects for lots of quilts that I see online. I find it's very helpful in deciding on the layout, altering the block design, coming up with borders, finding color combinations, etc. The online lessons and help are great. However, I've never had the need to import my own fabric. So far I've been happy using the fabric libraries that I find online.

Lori S 07-28-2012 07:36 AM

I have EQ 7 , thought I would use it more than I do. It maybe that I spend so much time on the computer , for work that when it comes to quilting... I just don't want to look at a screen .

QuiltnNan 07-28-2012 09:38 AM

i only have EQ5, but it is quite sufficient for my needs. if budget is an issue with you, you could look for a used copy of 5.

JudyTheSewer 07-28-2012 09:40 AM

I think it is fabulous software. Like Dunster said, most quilts I make are planned out using EQ7.

I used to scan my fabrics but don't do that very often anymore. I find that the fabric library plus the extra fabrics I've imported give me enough selection so that I can reasonably depict the fabrics I plan on using from my stash.

I use it to make design decisions quickly. E.g.: If I have 12" square blocks and want a throw for a couch, how many blocks in a row and how many rows and what size borders should I have to come up to a size that works (I want it plenty long to cover tootsies and shoulders of a tall person) and I want the overall scale of the quilt to be pleasing to my eye.

I also find planning borders is great using EQ7; how many borders, what colors, and what width on each look best to my eye.

When I want a second opinion of my design, I can send attachments of the EQ7 quilt to my out-of-state children via email and get their comments. (I trust their design sense more than my own.) EQ7 doesn't have this feature directly that I know of but I take a screen print of the quilt from EQ7 and paste it into a program such as Paint, do the cropping, etc. and Voila! My kids have helped me out more than once and when the quilt is for them it is especially nice that they can "approve" it during the design stage.

I love to paper piece and use it for printing out patterns.

Personally, I would not want to be without EQ7.

PS: This software DOES require the user to spend time learning it. The book that comes with EQ7 is excellent and has all of the information I've ever needed; but I did need to put in the effort to use the book, its lessons and tutorials. As BellaBoo said, this software has more features than I will ever use but it has all of the features I want when designing my quilts!

dunster 07-28-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5400907)
<snip>

EQ7 doesn't have this feature directly that I know of but I take a screen print of the quilt from EQ7 and paste it into a program such as Paint, do the cropping, etc. and Voila!

<snip>

You could use the Export Image option in EQ7. You have the option of saving the image with or without the block and patch outlines, and save as a jpeg.

JudyTheSewer 07-28-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5400976)
You could use the Export Image option in EQ7. You have the option of saving the image with or without the block and patch outlines, and save as a jpeg.

HaHa! Silly me! Thanks Dunster! I just went out to EQ7 and tried this. PERFECT! I set the checkbox options so that there were no outlines and the result is that the picture more truly represents what the fabrics will look like against each other at the seams. I like it much better than the convoluted way I was doing it. Thanks again for the help.

hoppyfrog 07-29-2012 07:32 AM

I love mine as well. I took two classes on line from Quilt University taught by Fran Gonzales and they were well worth the invertment.

IAmCatOwned 07-29-2012 07:38 AM

I like EQ7, but I found that I'm a pattern follower, not a designer.