Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reviving quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reviving-quilts-t304690.html)

PiedPiper 05-13-2019 03:52 AM

Reviving quilts

Hello,

I usually lurk here and enjoy the conversation and inspiration, and now that I need some help, I know where to come. :)

I have a number of beloved quilts which, for various and complicated reasons, have been folded up and stored, under other (heavy) things, in plastic bags for something like 3-5 years. I'm now able to get them out again, and they look so sad and flattened and squished. They are also, obviously, well creased.

What's the best way to go about "reviving" my quilts and getting them to look better - remove creases, possibly "fluff up" a bit? Some of them I could run through a washer, but there are a couple (one machine embroidered, one hand cross-stitched) that I would not dare to do that. At present I have them laid out across a couple of couches, simply to let them "breathe" again.

I'd appreciate any tips to help bring some life back into my beauties.

Thank you!

tranum 05-13-2019 03:55 AM

I wouldn’t use plastic to store quilts.

bearisgray 05-13-2019 04:05 AM

Unfolding them and letting them out to breathe is probably a good first step.

SusieQOH 05-13-2019 04:10 AM

I'd wash and dry them.

GingerK 05-13-2019 04:17 AM

For the ones you are afraid to wash, you could put them into the dryer on 'air' for a short time. That may help. One of the best ways to store quilts (if you have the room) is layered on a spare bed.

Tartan 05-13-2019 05:47 AM

​Air fluff in the dryer may help.

Iceblossom 05-13-2019 06:59 AM

Like some of the others, I'd do a damp towel thrown in with a low heat/air fluff.

For precious heirloom quilts the advice is to refold them at least every 3 months. That is, refolding them in a different way each time. So maybe once you fold it in thirds first, then the next time in half. Start at the long ends one time, the short ends the next etc.

I have a number of quilts in storage, my keeping of them is not the best but then they each get taken out of storage at least once a year and used. Basically I have them folded in thirds and then rolled loosely like a sleeping bag, and they fit on the upper shelf of the closet.

Annie68 05-13-2019 07:10 AM

I'd also put them in the dryer and let them tumble for a while.

Jordan 05-13-2019 10:31 AM

Your first step of laying them out to breathe is great. I might suggest that you spray with light mist of water and run thru your dryer for just a few minutes. Also, if you have extra beds that no one is using then you can lay them on beds instead of folding up and making more creases. Also, never store in plastic as this will possibly cause mold because of the condensation in the plastic. Good luck on your endeavor of reviving the quilts.

illinois 05-14-2019 03:29 AM

No to the plastic. You can use any kind of "junk" fabric or even pillowcases that are beyond normal use to store your quilts. This lets them "breathe" but still protected from dust, etc. It's handy to put a card on the outside of the bag as to what the quilt is inside. Good to refold with some regularity but most of us forget to do that.