Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Right or wrong side to batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/right-wrong-side-batting-t35165.html)

diannemc 01-27-2010 04:54 AM

I use mosty white or off white backings on my quilts and noticed the bumpy side shows through sometimes...so I started putting it up facing quilt top...If backing is printed or dark it would not matter..

k3n 01-27-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
Never knew this, although had noticed the difference in the two surfaces - another gem from the Board!

Ditto! :-D

iamsogone 01-27-2010 05:37 AM

some batting has needle punch and they say put that side up it makes it easier for your needle to go thru i never pay attention either until i saw it on a video that is all i know for what it is worth

hokieappmom 01-28-2010 06:43 AM

[quote=hulahoop1]I was on the allpeoplequilt.com site this morning when I should have been working (don't tell!)

LOL. The only time I really get on the board is when I'm at work, but only when I'm not busy. My boss is a quilter too, but I don't think she'd like me spending so much time here. We always have show and tell on our finished projects, and that is fun.

craftiladi 01-28-2010 07:52 AM

I am fairly new to quilting w/ batting [i am old fashion, I learned to do w/ old blankets] so I thank you for sharing-learning so much from all you....interesting that the experts say make sure that the wrong side of the batting is up but don't say how to tell....I like to keep everything simple so as so many of you have said...it hasn't mattered all this time so why worry now.

Anna O 01-28-2010 10:55 AM

It is my understanding that you can tell the right from wrong side of batting by taking a close look at the needle punching marks. When the batting is punched it leaves an indentation on one side (the right side) and little "fuzzies" poke out on the other side. Your machine needle will go through the batting easier if you have it poke through the same as when the batting is manufactured.

amma 01-28-2010 11:22 AM

I played with the warm and natural after reading this :wink:
One side is much smoother than the other...
I found the peppered side did not lay as smooth on the backing, which could cause more puckering. Under the quilt top, it wasn't as noticeable. This was even more noticeable after I ironed on it...
So for me, the peppered side will go on top :D:D:D

sewsewquilter 01-28-2010 12:06 PM

Live and learn.

Thanks for asking the question. :-)

cyd 01-29-2010 04:43 PM

I'm a bit confused--is there so much difference you notice when under a quilt? If so, I've been oblivious for years. What else should we know to make a quilt the right way?

Olivia's Grammy 01-29-2010 05:04 PM

I was told by the lady that installed my HQ16 to put the schem (sp) side down. It's sort of like having a thin skin. I try to do this, but sometimes forget to notice. So the needle will go through easier(?)