Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rik rak straight stitch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rik-rak-straight-stitch-t253622.html)

indysheart 09-12-2014 01:01 PM

Rik rak straight stitch

Hello All- So this is a beginner question. BUT, how do all sew on rik rak with your straight stich machines? I have a SINGER 15-91 and only the one standard foot for it as of now, looking to get a zig-zag and zipper soon. And I got some amazing rik rak off of ebay that I am excited to figure out how to embellish pieces with. I’ve read fabric glue, but I’m not a fan- I usually end up using too much. So, I’m wondering how with a straight stich. Thin and thicker pieces.

(now that I have my machine back up and running thanks to my Grandma’s expertise!)

Tartan 09-12-2014 01:25 PM

With rick rack you have to decide if you want to straight stitch right down the middle and live with the edges curling or sew down the edges following the shape.

NikkiLu 09-12-2014 01:30 PM

I have only sewn rick rack straight down the middle. Word of warning - don't know if the newer rick rack is better, but the old stuff really did shrink when it was washed and dried - so I would advise you to wash and dry it first before using so that it doesn't "draw up" and become very wavy. HTH

Prism99 09-12-2014 01:51 PM

I think the newer rick rack doesn't shrink. However, I would definitely second the recommendation to test a piece. Measure out 12", wash and dry it, then measure it again to see if it is the same length.

What I would do is sew down the middle of the rick rack with a straight stitch on the machine, then hand tack down the tips of the rick rack. There's no law against hand sewing when it will help the quilt! If you do this while the quilt top is still just a top, you won't have to worry about what the underside of your tacking looks like. You could still do the hand tacking after the quilt is made, but then you have to pay some attention to keeping your thread buried in the batting between tacks.

Cari-in-Oly 09-12-2014 01:56 PM

I usually sew it straight down the middle for really small rick rack. Larger stuff I'll sew down the middle then down either side to keep the outside from curling with thread that matches the fabric.
BTW, a 15-91 is a straight stitch only machine so a zig zag foot won't be used on it.

Cari

Nammie to 7 09-12-2014 01:58 PM

I had my granddaughter sew along each edge so the rick rack wouldn't curl.

Bree123 09-12-2014 02:45 PM

I have an old machine & on small rick-rack I sew straight down the middle. On slightly larger rick-rack and up, I will use a straight stitch, but either use a darning foot with feed dogs covered (or dropped, if you can drop them) or else will just ease the stitch line a bit to the left and right to help tack down the edges a little bit. It does tend to curl a bit with washing. I take my mini iron (or a regular iron) and press down the edges of the rick-rack because I don't like the curled look, but that's up to you.

I use a LOT of rick-rack on quilts and have never pre-washed it & haven't experienced any issue with it shrinking. It's synthetic fiber, so less prone to shrink than cotton anyways. My biggest issue was fraying until I learned that you can melt the raw edges with a match/lighter. No other issues.

calla 09-12-2014 03:51 PM

Well Bree123 I didn't know about the match/lighter........thanks

Jeanne S 09-12-2014 04:20 PM

I haven't sewn rickrack in awhile but when I did I just sewed a straight seam down the middle.

cindi 09-12-2014 04:54 PM

Make sure you know which kind of rick-rack you have. There is synthetic and cotton. I just love the cotton. The cotton WILL shrink a little. I glue baste first, to make sure the rick-rack doesn't shift as I'm sewing. It doesn't take much glue. Just take it slow and steady, following the line right inside the edge on either side. It won't roll up if you do it that way.