Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rings That Bind (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rings-bind-t247553.html)

verna2197 05-29-2014 05:14 AM

Rings That Bind

Hi I just received my book & ruler for Rings That Bind and am really excited about doing this. Has anyone else on the board tried this out. Here is a youtube video showing what I am talking about, I think its pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfifwcg8IJ4

Its a video from Kaye Woods with guest Cheryl Phillips.

Quiltngolfer 05-29-2014 05:25 AM

I bought the book and templates a few years ago, but haven't tried it yet. I love that pattern. It looks like it would be easy though.

Onebyone 05-29-2014 05:40 AM

I took a guild workshop some years ago, I remember it was easy. I finished my quilt at home but some guild members thought it used too much fabric so they didn't finish, just make a four ring table topper and the ones that are still alive are still complaining about the amount of fabric 'that quilt' used. LOL

quiltingranny 05-29-2014 05:59 AM

WOW!! I'm so glad you shared this. I just love it and am going to order one right now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

nanna-up-north 05-29-2014 06:42 AM

Very cool way to do the DWR quilt. You'll have to show us your project when you get it finished.

AliKat 05-29-2014 08:01 AM

This was one of the first quilting classes I took years ago when I moved to Phoenix. I loved it in that it was easy and you could change your mind as to what size you wanted as you went.

It was a small class size - 3 or 4 of us. We each had our own color combinations and each one was beautiful. Many of the quilt store shoppers came in, saw what we were doing and wished they had signed up. The feeling was that the book's cover picture was too uninspiring. Had the shop had their own quilt displayed we would have had more in the class.

The upside was that we all had fun and plenty of instructor attention if needed.

Onebyone 05-29-2014 10:24 AM

I thought the cover quilt was rather cheap looking, not as nice as others in the book. I would suggest making a couple of rings with scrap fabric first to learn the fine tuning needed. The video doesn't show all the technique you need to know.

Gerbie 05-31-2014 02:58 AM

I purchased this book with the template included years ago when Cheryl was on Alex Anderson's show- does that date it or not at least 10 years ago now lol. My daughter had been asking me to make her a DWR for several years and when I saw Cheryl's method I had to go for it. I made a queen size for my daughter and it turned out great. This is really an easy pattern.
However at the time I made her quilt, I had not discovered Retayne to use when I prewashed the fabrics I used for the quilt. I always pre wash my fabrics and thought all was well not so. I used a cream colored fabric with specks of green in it for the backing and the center of the blocks and various greens and a mauve for the rings. The quilt turned out beautiful but sadly when the quilt was washed one or two of the greens bled onto the cream fabric and I have never been able to get the green stain out. I have tried everything. Please be sure to use Retayne or something to set the colors of the fabric you use before making yours, so you won't end up like I did. I really think you will enjoy making a DWR using this pattern

solstice3 05-31-2014 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been there... Done that! It was a challenge. With the help of a friend, we did it for my daughter's wedding shower. It has its pros and cons. The center of each block was machine embroidered. There are imperfections but bride and groom love it and that's what counts

mrs. fitz 05-31-2014 07:22 AM

Hello Verna in Tennessee -
I recently got templates for a DWR quilt and this video will be helpful to me I'm sure. Thanks for posting it.
Regards from Verna in NJ