Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To rip or to not rip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rip-not-rip-t276409.html)

Material Witness 03-06-2016 02:53 PM

Every time I'm tempted to subscribe to a magazine, I go look in my closet at all the old ones. That cures me.

Lady Diana 03-07-2016 11:30 AM

I scan interesting patterns into my computer and donate the magazines to our local senior centers.

tlpa 03-07-2016 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Material Witness (Post 7486402)
Every time I'm tempted to subscribe to a magazine, I go look in my closet at all the old ones. That cures me.

This is me as well. When I'm tempted to subscribe I start to go through the magazines I have, and actually try to winnow them down in the process. But I find I have so many patterns I still love and want to make, and a lot of times the new magazines (browsing through them while in the stores) don't have anything at all I'm interested in, so it makes me feel good to save the money.

Melanie Rudy 03-07-2016 01:05 PM

Go online and use Pinterest and throw out the books :)

jlwheart 03-07-2016 09:21 PM

I put post-it notes on the page w/a word or two for a label. I'm just not into ripping mags apart or going to expense to photocopy. The post-its help me find all the instr for free motion quilting, for example. I use my mags a lot and I really look forward to getting new ones. I also use the mags at my library but it's a joy to get issues in the mail. When I get reorder offers to give a gift subscription, I use my library as my friend to get the gift. The librarian said they had so much interest in the issues they got, that they reordered the magazine for the next year. I was delighted that the mags were so well received. No one in my family sews or quilts so I'm pleased the library can use my donation.

Karo 03-07-2016 09:27 PM

copy the patterns you like and want to keep then put them on eBay for sale; lots of magazines there!

Claire123 03-08-2016 12:34 AM

I like them as is, but it's up to you. How would you enjoy looking at them more?

Suz 03-08-2016 08:43 AM

Since we are planning to move, I have gone through most of my quilt mags and ripped out anything of interest. I just cannot justify moving "weighty" boxes. I'd rather move a box of stash which I plan to purge also.

gram2five 03-08-2016 08:52 AM

My friend who has been quilting for over 30 years has started passing her magazines on to me. I photo copy the patterns I like and put them in plastic sleeves in a binder. I'm then able to donate a "complete" magazine to our local library/senior center. The ladies there are always so excited to see me bring in a stack of them.

chichimamma 03-21-2016 03:21 PM

I would not cut them up. I just suck it up and look thru the magazines and make sticky note stick up out of the magazine noting quilts I like and put the color on the marker of what group in my stach they would be great done up in.