Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Roomba any good for us (quilters)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/roomba-any-good-us-quilters-t195651.html)

liont 07-24-2012 03:59 PM

Is Roomba any good for us (quilters)?

I am so tempted to get one. Imagine the little guy sweeping up threads and small pieces of fabric!
But I am unsure because I've tried a Shark sweeper before, and the "rollers" get entangled by the threads! I know they are different, but I just want to hear more.
Anyone with a Roomba can share his/her experience?

GrandmaNewt 07-24-2012 04:20 PM

I havent tried a roomba in my sewing room, it did a good job just vaccuming the house tho. Because I have 2 long haired cats, I would have to clean the roller bar out after every use, and sometimes it needed to be done during use too.

Mickey1 07-24-2012 06:07 PM

I have one too and love it. It does a great job but haven't used it in the sewing room yet. I am worried about ruining the rollers from all the thread.

liont 07-24-2012 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey1 (Post 5391787)
I have one too and love it. It does a great job but haven't used it in the sewing room yet. I am worried about ruining the rollers from all the thread.

Same concern here!

Glenda m 07-24-2012 06:16 PM

I have about made up my mind to gat a Mint. It cleans and light washes too. Have read all the info on it and think I will go with this instead of the Rumba.

Christine- 07-24-2012 06:21 PM

The Roomba comes with a tool that easily cuts the threads from the rollers. It's a plastic tool, with claws on one side and a hidden razor blade on the other. You slide the razor blade down the brushes once, and then use the claw side to make quick work of removing the threads. Of course, I've never used mine. My quilting room never has threads on the floor. (cough, cough... gasp, coughing more)

Treasureit 07-24-2012 06:35 PM

I don't have enough room for the roomba to work much, besides I love my $15 little Bissel 3 in 1 stick vac. It stays plugged in and I just run it around the room lickety split!

knlsmith 07-24-2012 06:37 PM

I think they are neat, BUT I already trip over our 3 cats who always seem to be no further than 3 feet from me all the time. Lol. I thought my kids were grown. ;)

GrandmaNewt 07-24-2012 06:49 PM

My favorite part about the roomba when I had it...It sat in its little dock, and the cats apparently liked walking on it, including stepping on the on button on the top of the machine. It was always a nice surprise to come home and find that the cats had vaccumed. Of course the roomba always ended up in one of the back bedrooms, too lost to find its way back to the dock. And it always ran out of battery charge while it was way back under the bed.

snipforfun 07-24-2012 06:50 PM

I have too much junk on my floor! I have the Dyson Animal. Very powerful