Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary blade sharpener (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-blade-sharpener-t66206.html)

Cap'n Becky 09-22-2010 11:39 AM

Has anyone used a rotary blade sharpener at home? It is so annoying to get one little nick in a brand new blade!

Holice 09-22-2010 11:43 AM

They have never worked for me. However, some have posted that they work fine.

sharon b 09-22-2010 12:33 PM

from what I have heard if the blade is nicked it is toast :cry:

if it is dull can be resharpened, somewhat :roll:

BellaBoo 09-22-2010 12:58 PM

A sharpener works to keep a sharp blade sharp. It won't take out nicks. I use the Grace sharpener and honestly I haven't changed my blade in months and it's still sharp. I sharpen it every time I start cutting for the day.

Minda 09-22-2010 01:02 PM

I have the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener and I like it, but nothing removes nicks. It doesn't sharpen the blade to a factory edge, but it definitely sharpens it enough to get longer use from it. I'm pleased with the way it works.

katiebear1 09-22-2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
from what I have heard if the blade is nicked it is toast :cry:

if it is dull can be resharpened, somewhat :roll:

I have a sharpener and it works pretty well, but you can only sharpen a few times befor itthe blade will not sharpen, but it does work. Nicked blades are indeed toast.

sewcrafty 09-22-2010 04:25 PM

I just purchaed a Trucut Rotary Blade sharpener from Nancy Notions. I feel that it has worked for me to sharpen those dull blades.

Nancy's is the place that I found it for the cheapest. $29.99

CoyoteQuilts 09-22-2010 09:14 PM

There is a brand new ruler out that has a diamond sharpener edge on one side that is suppose to help your blades stay sharp and when it was demo'd at a local store during the shop hop the owner said that a nick was taken off a blade he was using. I can not remember what brand it was, but the shop was 3 Dudes Quilting in Phoenix, AZ near Chandler. It looked interesting, but it is a frosted ruler and I don't care for the frosted ones. If anybody wants their number just PM me. They were the only ones of the 13 shops in the shop hop that had them.

gollytwo 09-23-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
There is a brand new ruler out that has a diamond sharpener edge on one side that is suppose to help your blades stay sharp and when it was demo'd at a local store during the shop hop the owner said that a nick was taken off a blade he was using. I can not remember what brand it was, but the shop was 3 Dudes Quilting in Phoenix, AZ near Chandler. It looked interesting, but it is a frosted ruler and I don't care for the frosted ones. If anybody wants their number just PM me. They were the only ones of the 13 shops in the shop hop that had them.

I could be wrong, but when I read about that ruler it seemed to me you had be using their blades for it to work.

grammyp 09-23-2010 04:59 AM

I have one and it works pretty well. It will not remove nicks, and doesn't sharpen them "good as new" but will help extend the life of the blade. I have to rotary cutters, one is labeled "2" meaning the blade has been sharpened. I use that one for trimming blocks, cutting fleece. I use the one with the new blade for cutting pieces.