Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Blade Sharpening (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-blade-sharpening-t269723.html)

Flowergurl 09-07-2015 05:31 PM

I look for blades at auctions and yard sales and get them very cheaply that way.
I have never tried to sharpen one.

JustAbitCrazy 09-08-2015 02:12 AM

I have the electric TrueCut and love it. It works great! For those of you who don't like it, try putting a drop of oil on each stone before you sharpen, then again after each sharpening pass to clean off the metal residue from the stones. Rub the oil lightly with your finger and blot off the dark oil with a tissue, paper towel or scrap piece of cotton. Reapply another drop of clean oil to each stone for the next sharpening pass. It's time consuming, but the correct method. A metal clogged stone won't sharpen. Ask anyone who sharpens knives or surgical instruments.

luvstoquilt 09-08-2015 04:11 AM

I agree with JustAbitCrazy. I love my TruCut

ManiacQuilter2 09-08-2015 04:16 AM

I never found anything that works. Even had a friend of a friend who professionally sharped blades and it just didn't cut as nice as a new rotary blade.

katydidkg 09-08-2015 04:18 AM

I know a shop owner that tried the blade sharpener, don't know brand, but she didn't like it.

Homespun 09-08-2015 05:19 AM

I bought one of those do-it-yourself things too. Didn't work. I buy the carpet blades at Harbor Freight. Work well for me.

Bobbielinks 09-08-2015 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 7310436)
I've had the little blue one with the sandpaper for a while. It never worked. I guess I need to pitch it.

I have used my little blue one with the sandpaper since at least 2010. And have not purchased a new blade since then. But, I always turn the blue disks the same direction, never back and forth as the directions say to do it. I used to help my father sharpen knives and sickle blades on an old stone grider and he always told me to turn the handle the same direction, never backwards. His advise has worked for me many, many times.

Jingle 09-08-2015 09:12 AM

I have had one - like Bobbielinks. I don't use it and just buy new blades.

Snooze2978 09-08-2015 09:58 AM

I have the TruCut sharpener and it works as it should. The thing you have to remember is.......the blade will never be like new cause its not but if I can get a little more cutting energy out of it, I'll spend the time to sharpen them. I wait till I have a bunch to do too so I'm not continuing having to go sharpen a blade. I keep the used ones in an empty case they came in labeled needs sharpened. Have another case labeled used/sharpened so I know what they are. Once they've spent their energy for fabric cutting, I put them into a case labeled "for paper only" so I still get a little more use out of them before I toss them. I usually throw the totally spent ones in yet another case labeled throw-aways.

salemrabbits 09-09-2015 03:34 AM

I also have the "blue" one. It did an ok job but the sandpaper has worn enough that probably it's not worth the effort. I haven't seen anything that replaces the sandpaper. I have it in my machine travel case for an emergency