Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutter Blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-blades-t288716.html)

Boston1954 06-04-2017 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7836838)
i don't change mine often enough. i wish there was a 'mileage meter' on them LOL

Good one, Nan! Yes, I have a tough time telling when to change as well. When mine has me on the brink of saying naughty words, I change. My Sis gave me about 4 not long ago. Haven't had to buy one in a while.

marge954 06-04-2017 07:16 AM

I used to change the blade when it starts skipping because they are so expensive. I now buy a 45mm blade from Harbor Freight. They are called carpeting cutter replacement blades and you get 2 blades for $1.99. The cost makes it a lot easier to toss them quicker. I've never had one to be dull or cut funny right out of the package but you do need to wipe the oil off them before using. If you read the reviews for the blades most of them are quilters who like them.

Kitsie 06-04-2017 07:57 AM

I'm now using the 10 pk of Premium blades from Amazon and am VERY happy with them!

fruitloop 06-04-2017 09:27 AM

DH buys new saw blades and turns in the dulls one for a small discount if he remembers to take them in. There is no way he would even attempt to use a dull or nicked blade in his saw. The wood is too expensive and it's a safety hazard. His blades cost over $50 each. I don't even blink at changing a blade, I have changed blades three times in one cutting session before. If the blade doesn't cut like new I change it. I know I have a least 10 packages of five blades hanging on my peg board. I buy a lot when I find a good clearance price. I save money because I'm not stuck buying them at a more expensive price later on. There are too many online shops that have flash sales to pay regular rice for any quilting supplies. The last thread flash sale I got a dozen large spools of Aurifil for $4 each. All neutral colors. I'm set for along time for thread until the next sale comes along to restock.

true4uca 06-04-2017 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7836886)
I use mine a good part of each day. Some last longer than others. Price per blade at full retail price is not that much.

You just haven't bought blades here in Canada, 5pkg. of 45mm blades $50+.

Onebyone 06-04-2017 01:15 PM

Is there anything in Canada not overpriced?

true4uca 06-04-2017 02:23 PM

Quilting wise, I don't think so. Just now trying those Ormkraft blades I saw mentioned here. A pkg. of 10 45mm blades $20 of course they have a different price for the USA, about $5 less.

ckcowl 06-04-2017 03:10 PM

I change my blade when it starts skipping. If I have to recut, trim skipped threads or apply more pressure it's time for a new blade. So, it depends on how much cutting I've been doing and the fabrics I've been cutting. Some fabrics dull a blade faster than others. ( like flannel)

retiredteacher09 06-04-2017 04:19 PM

I changed my blade yesterday and wondered why I waited so long also. :)

Connie

grandma nurse 06-04-2017 06:58 PM

AVFD215.. save your money and just buy new blades. The blade sharpeners are all a big disappointment!