Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutter - does size matter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-does-size-matter-t155364.html)

malfromcessnock 09-23-2011 10:19 PM

Someone told me the other day that a 60mm - 2.5" Olfa cuts better than its smaller brother, the 45mm, not sure of imperial equiv, maybe 2.75".

Can this be true? I would have thought it depended only on the blade.

If my hunch is right, then why the different sizes? I understand the baby is designed for tight curves but why the TWO larger sizes?

np3 09-23-2011 10:28 PM

The 60mm is great when you are cutting through lots of layers at a time. The 45mm is the most common and useful size. But if you are doing tiny pieces or lots of layers, the other two are very valuable. I use a 45mm probably 90% of the time. But it depends on what you are doing.

Sadiemae 09-23-2011 10:37 PM

I wouldn't say one size cuts better than another... I really like to cut with the 60mm, especially when cutting WOF and large pieces. Sometimes it is a little too large to cut pieces that are less than 2 1/2 or 3", but it really is a personal preference. I usually use the one that I can find at the moment, 60mm or 45mm. I very rarely use the smaller 28mm.

ckcowl 09-24-2011 01:50 AM

the 45 is the most common-used the most often for a couple layers of fabric-
the 60 is good for flannels, thicker fabrics, more layers
and the small ones (28 & 18 i think-)are good for small pieces/shapes-going around curves, tight place, around templates, ect.

some people just like using the larger blade over the 45- some people hate using the large one and only do so when the project makes it necessary . the little ones are kind of project dependant- but come in handy - they are easy to go around templates with....more precise cutting- but not something you want to use for cutting yardage/large pieces

NJ Quilter 09-24-2011 02:09 AM

I had the 28 and gave it to a friend when she couldn't find her 45. I use my 45 all the time. I might have a 60 in the drawer somewhere but obviously don't use it. Haven't had a problem doing large or small cuts with the 45.

katier825 09-24-2011 02:27 AM

Mostly I like using the 60, but when I'm using the June Tailor strip cutter slotted ruler, the 45 works better. I've got a 28 too...rarely use that one.

Holice 09-24-2011 02:46 AM

I find that I have been using the 28mm more lately. It seems easier when cutting up to 4 layers of fabric and especially when I need to cut sitting down.
I use the 60mm when cutting batting.

malfromcessnock 09-24-2011 03:32 AM

Thank you ladies.

Do you know that those slotted strip cutting rulers cost well over $100 here in Australia and I can't imagine ordering it online. I think they would be so hard to pack, resulting in such a huge package but they are so cheap at QIAD.

I reckon you've answered my question on rotary cutters.

Interesting to note that Holice mostly uses her 28mm.

I found my 45mm hard to use at first but am now getting the hang of it.

Will have some pictures of my first project to show you soon.

Holice 09-24-2011 03:34 AM

Holice is NOT a "her".

malfromcessnock 09-24-2011 03:42 AM

Ah! Do we have another male quilter?

So sorry Holice, my mistake and a bad one too!

Incidentally, did you make your avatar wall hanging? Where did you get the pattern? I love it mate!

Don't know why I said that, I hate being called "mate". I won't do it again. Are you also on the QuiltGuy forum. That's a beauty - the fellows there are very clever.