Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutter Size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-size-t220895.html)

yweinst 05-06-2013 03:57 PM

Rotary Cutter Size

So I have a 45 mm rotary cutter and I'm finding that it doesn't cut through all the layers well. It is a new blade so I figure either I'm doing something wrong or maybe a 60 mm size cutter will be better. Any Opinions?

ghostrider 05-06-2013 04:20 PM

How many layers are you trying to cut? Is it a name brand blade? Has it worked in the past? More details would help. They say a 45 mm is good for up to 4 layers of fabric and over that you should go with a 60 mm.

auntpiggylpn 05-06-2013 04:30 PM

What kind of condition is your cutting mat in? I have always used the Olfa mats but last summer I came across a very large Gingher cutting mat still in the original package and it was such a steal, I bought it. I can't stand it! It doesn't self heal as well as my Olfas and I wish I had saved my money and added some to it and bought a larger Olfa . Not my most costly mistake but definately one of my more frustrating ones.

whynotquilt 05-06-2013 04:37 PM

Is the blade inserted correctly? How many layers are you trying to go through? By adjusting these it should make a difference. 45mm is good for about 4 layers. If you are attempting more go to a 60mm.

NJ Quilter 05-06-2013 04:40 PM

Do you by chance have 2 blades stuck together? I've personally yet to make that mistake but I've read of others who have and have had issues with cutting.

yweinst 05-06-2013 05:19 PM

It is a brand new olfa rotary cutter and anything over 4 layers tends to have a problem. I'm using beba's cutting mat but I have the same problem on my olfa one...

AliKat 05-06-2013 10:40 PM

I agree:
- how old is the blade?
- is your blade a knock off brand or ?
- are you using only 1 blade?
- what condition is your mat in?
- how many layers are you trying to cut?

Personally, I can only cut 2 layers at a time. But, that's me. My favorite mat is the Martelli brand. It has lasted the longest and I think the blades last longer with it too.

mom-6 05-07-2013 02:38 AM

If I'm using a new blade on my 45mm cutter I can do as many layers as I want if it is a fairly short cut (ie a stack of squares to be cut in half). For width of fabric (folded in half) cuts, I can easily do 4 layers until the blade gets a nick, then it becomes a challenge.

ckcowl 05-07-2013 03:21 AM

it is generally recommended that you cut 2 layers at a time- more layers you invite un-even cuts
I have many cutters with a variety of blade sizes (18mm, 27mm, 45mm & 60mm) i generally only use my 60mm if i am cutting thick/heavy fleece/minkie, heavy layers of flannel, denim, corduroy, squaring a thick/lofty quilted quilt.
some people use their 60 for regular cottons- but it is generally easier to use the 45.

bearisgray 05-08-2013 03:38 AM

I still usually only cut one or two layers at a time.

Why? Because if I goof, I mess up less fabric at a time.

It's also easier for me to make sure that the grain lines are going the way I want them when I can see each layer.