Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutter skips. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-skips-t135493.html)

phylklos 07-05-2011 08:08 PM

sobaboo; I find my cutters work best on at least 4 layers of fabric, rather than 1 or 2. I believe that was what they were designed for, way back in the dark ages of quilting. Cutting tracks on an older the mat can also cause skipping; flip it over and use the second, smoother side. Use your ruler for measuring strips and squares, not the grid on the mat. I use the mat grid strictly for squaring/straightening a length of yardage. Hope this helps you :-) :-)

M.I.Late 07-05-2011 08:17 PM

Stand over the fabric you're cutting. Get a firm grip on your rotary cutter - but don't white knuckle it. Give it firm pressure but don't press so hard you're making it "stall out" - roll - think roll like a rolling pin. lean ever so slightly the top towards the ruler so it doesn't go off to the side and take your time. No need to speed here. It takes time to get the hang of it, but never be in a hurry when cutting strips. Also, do check that it doesn't have two blades on - very carefully. (Try a magnifying glass - if it does use a tool to separate them - not fingers. Careful not to nick it.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-05-2011 08:32 PM

Yep check the blade for, chips, could have been dropped or running over a pin, (how would I know that) also grooves in the cutting board. Practice made a big difference tho.

One more thing, when I learned, left the part I was cutting off exposed, so could softly scoot it over to see if all was cut, without letting up on the guide, but the grid was straight, can cut both ways now with guide over the strip I'm keeping.

Don't think I've ever cut me tho ;) did cut the phone cord in half the other day :(..... Woops :)

katesnanna 07-05-2011 08:42 PM

Your mat can be the problem also. Is it clean, can you see any deep cuts it the mat or is it worn.

quilttiludrop 07-05-2011 08:49 PM

There are a lot of nuances with rotary blades. I know I press harder than I should frequently. Lint can get up into the cutter also.

BrendaY 07-05-2011 09:03 PM

Does your cutting mat have bad places in it? Mine did! So bought a new one at Joann's 50% off sale...

Also, bought the blade sharpener from Harbor Freight Co. so my blades will always be sharp now...

I'm a scairdy cat, too. Be careful when cutting... Hugs...

amma 07-05-2011 09:41 PM

Make sure too, that you are holding the cutter/blade straight up. If you slant it to the left or right, you can cut "into" the ruler instead of riding right up next to it. That can make uneven/inaccurate cuts, and knick your blade so that it makes skipped cuts like you are describing :D:D:D

amma 07-05-2011 09:42 PM

Another thought, make sure the screw is not turned to tight, that can make the blade skid instead of roll smoothly :D:D:D

Aunt Patti 07-05-2011 10:45 PM

you might need to use more pressure could try to change the blade some times the blades r a dud LOL also get a glove by fons and porter and then you cannot cut yourself
LUV Aunt Patti

coloradosky 07-06-2011 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
Does your cutting mat have bad places in it? Mine did! So bought a new one at Joann's 50% off sale...

Also, bought the blade sharpener from Harbor Freight Co. so my blades will always be sharp now...

I'm a scairdy cat, too. Be careful when cutting... Hugs...

Please let us know what blade sharpener you purchased thru Harbor Freight. A new HF store just opened in our area and I did not see a sharpener. Do you happen to have the item number. Thanks. :)