Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary cutting blade sharpener (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutting-blade-sharpener-t184992.html)

Coll 04-04-2012 04:48 AM

Rotary cutting blade sharpener

Has anyone used a rotary blade sharpener, and if so do they really work and are they worth the money? Could anyone recommend a good one? I have had hand and shoulder surgery so I need to use a very sharp blade at all times to ease the strain on my joints, and the cost of replacing the blades is getting very expensive. I saw an electric sharpener at a fabric store that retails for $60. CDN, but I'm not sure whether to give it a try or not. Thanks in advance.

Sunnye 04-04-2012 05:32 AM

I use the Tri Sharp. It's a blue circle that you put the blade in and turn it around the outer circle. It has two sides; one is for sharpening, one is for nicks (like sandpaper).
I love it, it works and is MUCH cheaper. Can't remember what I paid for it; maybe under $10? I think I got it at JoAnn's.

sculpyfan 04-04-2012 07:40 AM

I also use the Tri Sharp and love it but also the Harbor Freight blades are so cheap.

mucky 04-04-2012 10:32 AM

I wouldn't buy the electric one? Had one and hated it. As for Harbor Freight blades I didn't even think they were worth the price. Not nearly as sharp as the name brand ones. I usually find good bi
It's for blades on eBay.

Jingle 04-04-2012 01:00 PM

I have the circle one also, used it lots of times.

lalaland 04-04-2012 02:59 PM

One of the gals on the board recommended the TrueCut Rotary Blade Sharpener. I found one on Amazon for less than $50 and free shipping. I LOVE it! I've tried several sharpeners and this one absolutely delivers. It is noisy though, that's the only negative thing I can say about it. But I just plug in my ipod and sharpen away. The trick is to sharpen your blade with the first sign of nick or dullness, don't let it get really nicked up and dull. If you wait that long, I don't think there's a sharpener out there that can revitalize it back into good service.

jaciqltznok 04-04-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnye (Post 5115378)
I use the Tri Sharp. It's a blue circle that you put the blade in and turn it around the outer circle. It has two sides; one is for sharpening, one is for nicks (like sandpaper).
I love it, it works and is MUCH cheaper. Can't remember what I paid for it; maybe under $10? I think I got it at JoAnn's.

ditto this one! I use it a lot!

Luke Wolma 09-11-2012 11:11 PM

All of my new Enzotech 45 rotary fittings have this brown goop around the inner rim.

I thought it was some sort of grease or lub to allow the fitting to rotate but on some of the fittings this stuff was rather hard. In other fittings it's still goopy.

And I don't think it's a sealant either since it's situated above the rotating joint rather than on it

girlsfour 09-12-2012 03:06 AM

I thought of this when I remembered that my friend who sold Creative Memories used aluminum foil to sharpen her corner rounder - I take a strip of foil about 2/3 inches long and fold it over and over until you have a square, cut back and forth until you can't cut anymore and your foil is completely shredded. It does give a little extra life to your rotary blade.

Luke Wolma 09-12-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Luke Wolma (Post 5508319)
All of my new Enzotech 45 rotary fittings have this brown goop around the inner rim. rotating joints

I thought it was some sort of grease or lub to rotary union allow the fitting to fiber optic rotary joint rotate but on some of the fittings this stuff was rather hard. In other fittings it's still goopy.

And I don't think it's a sealant either since it's situated above the rotating joint rather than on it

verry good!