Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutting Tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutting-tip-t61512.html)

ganny 08-26-2010 06:36 PM

Great info. I will clean my mats tomorrow! Thanks. Probably why my smaller mat is not "healing" so well.

quilterfly 08-26-2010 06:41 PM

My sisters & I used to let my BIL sharpen our blades when they got dull, but it just didn't seem worth the trouble. They never really held the sharpness (is that a word?) for long. One day at my lqs the clerk was having difficulty cutting the fabric with her rotary cutter. I made a remark about time to replace the blade and she said they always re-sharpen their blades until they are no longer useful. This really seems like maybe "not such a good thing" to the person purchasing the fabric.

dotcomdtcm 08-26-2010 06:43 PM

I saw a rotary blade sharpener for about $25. Anyone use one?

sewgirls 08-26-2010 07:07 PM

i use one and i love it i got it at hancocks on sale i think it was only 7.00 i dont know the brand,but i havnt bought a blade scince

Belles.hold 08-26-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Has anyone else noticed that blades from Joannes - even "Olfa brand" seem to be dull or skip very frequently right out of the package? I've sen it for years in classes I've taught.

It's gotten so that now I usually order mine 10 to the pack from Hancocks of Paducah at something like $3 a blade.

Has anyone read the thread about Harbor Freight and their "carpet blades"? These are the absolute same blades as the Olfa 45 mm blades AND they cost $1.49 for two. I've been using the same "carpet blade" for two weeks with VERY HEAVY cutting and it still cuts like a hot knife through butter. I understand the blades are on backorder until October if you order online, but I picked up 12 packages (24 blades) from two Harbor Freight stores and shared them with my bee. AND, I found a 20% off coupon, so they only cost $1.29 with taxes. Good luck hunting. Belles

charmpacksplus 08-26-2010 07:12 PM

I've heard that if you take the blade out and flip it over it will go a little longer, unless it's got a knick in it. It will still be knicked when you flip it.

ganny 08-26-2010 07:28 PM

I bought a blade sharpener at Hancock's on sale also but have not used it yet. Also ordered 10 pkgs of blades from Harbor Freight but have not yet received them. If the sharpener works, I will never have to buy another blade! Doesn't that sound wonderful! :)

Jan in VA 08-27-2010 06:54 AM

Has anyone read the thread about Harbor Freight and their "carpet blades"? These are the absolute same blades as the Olfa 45 mm blades AND they cost $1.49 for two. I've been using the same "carpet blade" for two weeks with VERY HEAVY cutting and it still cuts like a hot knife through butter. I understand the blades are on backorder until October if you order online, but I picked up 12 packages (24 blades) from two Harbor Freight stores and shared them with my bee. AND, I found a 20% off coupon, so they only cost $1.29 with taxes. Good luck hunting. Belles[/quote]

Hallelujah, this is the second time in as many days that I've heard this. Can't WAIT to get to Harbor Freight to check out their blades. (Of course, we'd better buy up a ton of them 'cause you just KNOW the price will jump when they discover quilters have found them!!)

amandasgramma 08-27-2010 07:36 AM

Yes, I read the hint on the blades at Harbor Freight. Also so the magnetic wrist band for "catching" pins......went to Harbor Freight in Bend......SOLD OUT!!! Yeah, so how many quilters on this forum live within driving distance of Bend, Oregon :shock: . LOL -- I bought a LOT of blades on Ebay. I love the hint on cleaning the mat! I was getting ready to buy a new one payday...you may have saved me $$ so now I can buy more fabrics.

Oh - I have a tip for OP....do NOT cut your finger with a blade...I'm sure that dulled my blades!!! :oops:

Colbaltjars62 08-27-2010 07:51 AM

They also have a gripper for your rulers too. So no cut fingers...