Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Ruler Colours (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-ruler-colours-t307974.html)

Watson 11-12-2019 12:40 PM

Rotary Ruler Colours

I need a new rotary ruler and I noticed that they come with lines in different colours now.

My old one came with lines in black and red, but some come with lines in bright yellow.

Any preferences and why?

Thanks, Watson

feline fanatic 11-12-2019 12:53 PM

I love my creative grids rulers. The lines are black but it also has dashed 1/4" lines in white. I like them because they are very easy for me to read and one side of the ruler is clearly marked for making 1/2" cuts and the other for whole inch cuts.

ckcowl 11-12-2019 12:59 PM

I have 2 square rulers with the yellow lines- a 12 1/2” & a4 1/2”— I hate the small one- find it very difficult to use ( not sure why) the 12” isn’t so bad, but I definitely prefer the ones with black markings. My creative grid rulers get used the most. At the Grand Rapids quilt show I purchased 2 new SlipFree rulers that are wonderful. I wish I had spent the money to buy the whole set. They also have black markings

Claire123 11-12-2019 01:04 PM

Not really. Just try to keep up with changing the blades.

petthefabric 11-12-2019 02:16 PM

The grid rulers with a wide color line around the edge of the ruler is difficult to line up with edge of the fabric.
Creative Grid rulers have an extra 1/2 " on 2 adjacent sides making it easy to cut the extra 1/2" to have finished sizes of the whole inches, ie. 6 1/2" cut = 6" finished. Creative grid has non-slip on the back. It also has a 8 1/2" wide by 241/2" and 12 1/2". There's an extra large 21 1/2" square. On the web site there's many sizes no normally carried in LQS's.

Onebyone 11-12-2019 02:27 PM

For basic rulers changed all mine out for Quilter's Select brand. For specialty rulers I buy Creative Grids. The lines are easy to see on every color fabric.

mindless 11-12-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8326128)
I love my creative grids rulers. The lines are black but it also has dashed 1/4" lines in white. I like them because they are very easy for me to read and one side of the ruler is clearly marked for making 1/2" cuts and the other for whole inch cuts.

Those white lines are very difficult for me to see on white/light fabric.

I have to really pay attention to which side I'm using too, because they aren't the same. I hate to admit it, but in a hurry, I have cut fabric too narrow and also too wide with these rulers. Just takes getting used to, I guess.

grammasharon 11-12-2019 03:52 PM

Yes ckcowl I purchased Quilters Select ruler in the 6x12 and 6x24 only wish they were 6 1/2” miss that extra half inch.
Bought one for my DIL also. Will get a square one in the future. They are so great at not slipping. Worth every penny. Now what to do with all those I don’t use. SIGH.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 8326131)
I have 2 square rulers with the yellow lines- a 12 1/2” & a4 1/2”— I hate the small one- find it very difficult to use ( not sure why) the 12” isn’t so bad, but I definitely prefer the ones with black markings. My creative grid rulers get used the most. At the Grand Rapids quilt show I purchased 2 new SlipFree rulers that are wonderful. I wish I had spent the money to buy the whole set. They also have black markings

Onebyone 11-12-2019 04:59 PM

Quilters Select has the 6 1/2 "x 12 and 6 1/2" x 24. The rulers come in whole inch or 1/2" added. It's easy to get mixed up when you cut if you don't make sure which size you pick up to use. I have to double check my square ones to be sure of the correct size I want. 8 and 8 1/2 look about the same.

Jingle 11-12-2019 05:14 PM

I much prefer clear rulers with black lines. the 6 x 24" is the ones I use most. I put a strip of blue painters tape below the line I want to cut on. It is kind of mindless cutting for me. I mark my strip cutter ruler the same.