Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Roundabout Update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/roundabout-update-t315884.html)

Railroadersbrat 07-17-2021 04:34 AM

Roundabout Update

1 Attachment(s)
This is like my third time trying to post something, my fiance and I was finally able to get our first shots of Moderna on Thursday. We're doing great, but sadly the fatigue side effect is really doing a number on us, I think this is the first day in a couple of days where I feel awake and alert at the same time.

So, I ended up tearing down all the blocks and starting over, I think it took me two and a half days to get that done. I trimmed all of the 45* triangles down to 4.5" but left the corner triangles alone. I attached them to the block, then trimmed them down to match the sides, I'm hoping this is making sense. The size of the blocks is much more consistent and this is the first time that I actually felt confident enough to put together the first nine blocks I've done.

There are a few places where the seams don't exactly match, I'm within two or three threads and for me, that's close enough. I know I'll get better at that the more blocks that I do and I'll be able to "hide" those when I finally quilt it.

As for the bulk in the center, I cut on either side of the bulk, then opened that seam and pressed it. Block is laying completely flat. I also broke down and bought one of the new mini-irons, my big Black & Decker Evensteam was making it ten times more difficult to maneuver around the block when I pressed them, plus it was a major energy drain and I would actually pop a breaker if I used it too much. All the seams with the exception of the corner seams are pressed open.

I'm hoping to get more blocks done this weekend, starting on Monday, we're completely rearranging my kitchen, dining room, and one of the bedrooms (turning it into a pantry) and until that's done, there's not much quilting that'll be going on. I'll be glad to get this final push finished to get the house organized again, I've been avoiding it like the black plague because I just haven't had the energy to get it done.

Iceblossom 07-17-2021 04:53 AM

Wow! I am so impressed! At everything!!

Tartan 07-17-2021 05:07 AM

That’s going to be beautiful!

Quiltwoman44 07-17-2021 06:42 AM

Oh those look lovely. Great fabrics too!

Karamarie 07-17-2021 07:21 AM

Nice! Perseverance pays off.

tallchick 07-17-2021 09:08 AM

Yay for working through the issue and not giving up, the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Thanks for the update and please keep us posted on your progress.

bj 07-17-2021 09:34 AM

That is a beautiful quilt! Well done!!

Fabric Galore 07-17-2021 10:02 AM

I think the piecing looks great. What is the finished size of this quilt?

Quiltah Mama 07-17-2021 03:57 PM

Wow. That is awesome. Your pieceing is amazing. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Jingle 07-17-2021 04:03 PM

I really like what you have done so far. Will be beautiful.