Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rounded corners... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rounded-corners-t281486.html)

kwiltkrazy 08-20-2016 11:26 PM

I would use bias also, you don't want to have to take it out when you don't like the wrinkly binding. I always use a plate or saucer for rounded edges. Good luck, I know you'll do fine. you can use scraps by sewing them all together along the long side, then cutting with 60 degree ruler to the desired width, I do it all the time, looks great.

yel 08-21-2016 01:56 AM

And if i was machine quilting ....i would mark the corner ....quilt it and then cut it round

ManiacQuilter2 08-21-2016 04:04 AM

I use my china for rounded corners. As mention before, you will then need to make you binding on the bias so that it will go around the curves smoothly.

117becca 08-21-2016 05:08 AM

Love Tartan's suggestion!!! Kinda like "Duh!!"

meyert 08-21-2016 05:22 AM

I use my scraps for binding a lot. Some quilts really pop with a scrappy binding. I don't really have a lot problems with working with the scrappy binding - I would go for it.

I have used a plate as a template for the rounded corners - but I like the idea peaceandjoy had about tracing it onto paper first.

ube quilting 08-21-2016 05:35 AM

You can just use the bias binding on the curves. It takes a little preparation to peice the bias in the right places but it works beautifully. I have done this and it is worth the prep time. Straight of grain does not really play well on curves and it would be a matter of having to re do it when it doesn't work out the way you like. So time spent in the beginning is better than time spent re doing.

Tartan has the right solution.

Be sure to post pics for us to enjoy.
peace

ube quilting 08-21-2016 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 7632049)
The only way I've seen rounded corners done was with a plate or bowl, trace along the edge. I'd do it on a piece of paper first; cut away the paper and lay it on the top to make sure you are getting the look you want.

Not sure why the hesitancy to make bias binding? i use it for most quilts.

I also like to use bias binding. It works so well and hand stitching just disappears into the fabric.
peace

Bree123 08-21-2016 08:18 AM

You asked about whether to use a compass. I have a locking compass, but the difficulty is that I can still hold it at a slightly different angle each time & produce slightly different results. So now I use my compass to figure out roughly where I want my rounded edge & then I use that to create a plastic template (or you can do a cereal box template) and I use that template. Of course, you need to be smarter than I was the first time & think about where your binding is going to end up. Fortunately there are no pictures to serve as evidence of what I did, but I failed to add my 1/4" binding allowance and ended up having to reattach that sliver of my sandwich back onto my quilt. What a mess! I don't think anyone would ever know -- except maybe a quilt judge & fortunately it was neither a competition nor a client piece -- but it was not fun trying to sew that tiny piece back on.

luvstoquilt 08-21-2016 01:39 PM

Use a plate for the corners and bias binding. I use bias binding on all now. It is a lot stronger as well as easy to work with.

Sandra in Minnesota 08-21-2016 04:13 PM

Funny, I was just tossing that question around in my head for the last month. I have a queen quilt at the LA, and deciding to make rounded corners or not. Thanks for your suggestions.