Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rowenta Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rowenta-iron-t102224.html)

Yarn or Fabric 02-23-2011 05:26 AM

For what it's worth... My mother volunteers in the electronics department of a really really big rummage sale that is held twice a year... and she says that every single Rowenta iron that has been donated in the past 10+ years that they have been volunteering doesn't work properly. Almost all of the Black and Deckers do though ;)

Save your money and put it towards other supplies :)
I'm sorry to hear that you've sprung a leak though :(

sewgull 02-23-2011 05:45 AM

One Rowenta is enough, mine will not stay on steam setting. I don't plan to purchase another. Cheap iron does just a good. I have older model B&D, 1970s, it gets hot.

SuzanneG 02-23-2011 05:50 AM

I do like my Rowenta (which I got as a gift two years ago), but I never put water in it. If I want steam, I spritz some water on the fabric from a water bottle I keep on my ironing table, and then press. But I do find the Rowenta's way too heavy. It's not weight that does a good job pressing, it's heat. So next time I'm going back to a good old Black & Decker iron. I love them. They get plenty hot, are reasonably priced, last and last and aren't too heavy.

donnajean 02-23-2011 06:02 AM

I'm thinking it's another case of things are not made as well as they used to be. My Rowenta was purchased in the 90's & still works perfectly.

SuzyQ 02-23-2011 06:13 AM

I have owned 2 Rowenta's and won't buy another one. I liked the first one but it started leaking so I bought a new one which I don't like. It takes forever to steam and the steam doesn't last very long. Just my opinion.

Susan

dmyers 02-23-2011 06:16 AM

i've been through 3 rowenta's and they all ended up leaking. i don't know why it took me 3 to realize i was wasting my money, but i wanted to believe the hype. i've switched to a cheapo brand and love it!

cattailsquilts 02-23-2011 06:23 AM

I have 2 Rowentas, neither has a leakage problem, but I also don't put water in my new one. My old one has a thermostat problem, but it is over 10 years old & has been dropped more than a few times. It still works for quickie projects, and is small enough to take places. My new one is a BEAST and gets super hot (hotter than I expected, and have singed a few projects already...), and I love it.

katiebear1 02-23-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
I went through 2 Rowenta irons in a span of 18 months, I will never buy another !! They arent made in Germany any more they all come from China.

Doesn't everything? Nothing seems to last more than a year or so and it doesn't seem to matter weather they were cheap or expensive. I have found that things with heating elements ( iron, coffee make, etc) last a little over a year if used everyday, so I just get the cheapest one tha t gets the job done.

dkabasketlady 02-23-2011 06:48 AM

I've never used a Rowenta iron(mainly because of all the negative feedback and the expense of one) and have a B&D cheapie. I've used the extra $$ on fabric.

DeniseP 02-23-2011 06:49 AM

I love my Black and Decker $30 iron. It has the shot of steam feature that I love and it works just as well as an expensive model. When it dies, I will not feel that I wasted good money on it, I will have gotten my money's worth.