Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rubber Needle Puller...Is There Something Better? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rubber-needle-puller-there-something-better-t39260.html)

lisalovesquilting 03-11-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Yes! finger cots like are used in offices to sort papers. I think you can get them at Office Max or Staples, etc. Mine were given to me. They work great.

I don't know a brand name.

shaverg 03-11-2010 04:08 PM

Mine are Swingline, the same brand as the old manual pencil sharpeners. The box is white and red.

Yes! finger cots like are used in offices to sort papers. I think you can get them at Office Max or Staples, etc. Mine were given to me. They work great.

I don't know a brand name.

Cathie_R 03-11-2010 04:12 PM

I bought a box of disposable gloves from a hardware store and cut the fingers out of them to use on my index finger. Works great. I have also used tape from an auto parts store to mark a grid line. It's original use is to mark off trim on a car to be painted. It does not leave a residue on the car paint or on my fabric. Probably a lot cheaper than marking tape at a quiilt shop. I know the disposable gloves are economical as one finger lasts a long time. Any disposable glove would work as long as the fingers are form fitting.

shaverg 03-11-2010 04:15 PM

I have also bought the ones at the quilt stores, they wear out quickly and are really tight around my finger.

littlehud 03-11-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
I bought a box of disposable gloves from a hardware store and cut the fingers out of them to use on my index finger. Works great. I have also used tape from an auto parts store to mark a grid line. It's original use is to mark off trim on a car to be painted. It does not leave a residue on the car paint or on my fabric. Probably a lot cheaper than marking tape at a quiilt shop. I know the disposable gloves are economical as one finger lasts a long time. Any disposable glove would work as long as the fingers are form fitting.

I use rubber gloves and cut off the fingers too. It works like a charm and is so inexpensive.

MNQuilter 03-11-2010 05:58 PM

Have you tried a leather thimble? I like the one I have for sewing, but not for doing the actual quilting.

renee765 03-11-2010 06:00 PM

I, too, buy the rubber gloves and cut off the fingers. I only need one or two fingers at a time, and the set of gloves has ten! What a bargain!

Boston1954 03-11-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
Have you tried a leather thimble? I like the one I have for sewing, but not for doing the actual quilting.

Oh I have a thimble. This is something that I was hoping would make pulling the needle through the fabric easier without having to pick something up each time.

raptureready 03-12-2010 06:46 AM

I, too, use the rubber gloves. I just cut off about an inch and when they wear out I cut off another inch. I pair lasts a long time. I buy a smaller size than I would if I were going to use them for cleaning. They're light weight and comfortable.

grammyp 03-12-2010 06:51 AM

I simply cut the fingers off a pair of rubber gloves use those. No problems at all.