Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rule of thumb for border widths? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rule-thumb-border-widths-t263534.html)

jillmc 04-03-2015 04:00 PM

Rule of thumb for border widths?

I tried googling this topic, but I must not be using the correct terminology! Quilt top is log cabins, blocks are 9" finished, with 3/4" finished logs. Size is 54x81". I want to add a narrow "stop" border, and then a wider border and binding.
Thinking of 1 1/4" finished stop border and 3" finished border, with the usual binding-I cut 2" strips, press in half machine stitch to front, turn it and hand stitch to back. Do these border proportions sound ok? Is there a site that might help me determine this? Thanks, and Happy Easter! :)

ragamuffin 04-03-2015 04:26 PM

I was told by my quilting teacher 30 years ago - if you start with 3", then go 6". So to start with 1-1/2", then 3", then 6" would be really good. Some people use a border just on 2 ends but I like them all the way around. It depends on the quilt. Best of luck to you.

katier825 04-03-2015 04:47 PM

I like to fold my border fabrics in different widths and "audition" them to see what looks best to me. Taking pics help. I upload them to the computer and view them side by side. I find it's easier for me to decide that way. I often use an inner border, usually 1-1/2" or 2" finished, depending on the top. Most of my borders vary between 4"-6" unless I am doing a scalloped border. Those I cut wider usually.

TexasSunshine 04-03-2015 05:26 PM

I agree with katier825, 1to 2 inches for the inner thin border, then 4 to 6 inches for the outer border.

Barb in Louisiana 04-03-2015 05:33 PM

It's all about what you think looks good with your blocks. Most times I put a 1 to 2" stopper border around the blocks and then add my final border(s). Sometimes it's 1, sometimes 2, somestimes 3. It's whatever I decide looks good with the blocks. Taking a picture of it and looking at the picture helps me immensely. I just don't believe there is any right or wrong with borders, just whatever you like. That's why you can't Google it. A lot of modern quilts using blocks we all know have no borders. And they look great and very modern.

GingerK 04-03-2015 06:42 PM

I'm with Barb. No hard and fast rule. Sometimes it is the width (or length) you need to finish your top.

joyce888 04-03-2015 06:55 PM

I really think it's all a personal preference. I like to audition the sizes as others have stated but I also kinda go by the size of the quilt; the bigger the quilt, the wider the border ( in most cases).

117becca 04-04-2015 03:01 AM

I'll be honest - i eyeball it...

Dollyo 04-04-2015 03:42 AM

I like a 1/2" - 1" stopper border (kinda like a narrow mat on a picture), then 4" - 6" for the border. Frequently, my stopper border is the same fabric as the binding. In that case, I use a 3" strip to achieve the 1/2" binding.

ghostrider 04-04-2015 05:26 AM

I know of no 'rule' and, if there was one, I'd probably ignore it anyway. It's all about proportion. With 9" log cabin blocks using ¾" logs, I definitely wouldn't go any bigger than a 1½" stop border. That's twice the log width and one sixth of the block width. It would transition very smoothly to your wider border (which is part of the purpose of a stop border after all). Your 1¼" plan sounds fine though. For the wide border, auditioning is the best idea if you don't have a specific finished size that you want to wind up with.