Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ruler Foot on an old machine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruler-foot-old-machine-t308049.html)

NickiZ 11-16-2019 09:34 AM

Ruler Foot on an old machine.

I really, really want to try out the ruler foot I bought. I put it on my machine (old machine) but there isn't a way to lower the feed dogs. To do FMP there is a little plastic piece that slips into notches over the feed dogs. Works great with the darning foot for FMP. The problem is that the plastic piece is too tall for the ruler foot and won't let me even pull the fabric through. Any suggestions (other than buying a new machine, which just isn't in the budget right now :( ), for disabling the feed dogs with something other than the plastic piece that came with the machine? I'm using a Brother XL-6452 that I've had for several years. Also, I laid my ruler up against the ruler foot and because of the plastic thingy underneath, my ruler won't clear the screw that attaches the foot.

P-BurgKay 11-16-2019 09:36 AM

Try lowering your stitch length to 0. Hope that helps.

NickiZ 11-16-2019 09:42 AM

Tried that - the fabric is being held to tight between the ruler foot and the plastic thingy covering the feed dogs.

cjsews 11-16-2019 11:03 AM

Maybe you can tape a business card over your feed dogs

rryder 11-16-2019 12:23 PM

It sounds like your ruler foot is too low. it needs to just glide above the fabric, or just barely skim the fabric. Check to see if you can install the foot a little higher. Also make sure you’ve got the correct foot for the shank of your machine. If your machine is Low shank, but the foot is med. or high shank, then you won’t be able to install it at the proper height.

Rob

quiltingshorttimer 11-16-2019 06:12 PM

what about one of those slider sheets over the feed dogs?

NickiZ 11-16-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 8327871)
Maybe you can tape a business card over your feed dogs

I tried that and was truly surprised that the feed dogs didn't tear up the business card. It's still a little tight though. Maybe Santa will be bring me a new sewing machine for Christmas! lol

bkay 11-17-2019 08:24 AM

I've only done this on Singer machines when cleaning/rehabbing them, so look carefully before you try it.

Take the feed dogs out and replace them when you are finished with the quilting. At least on the Singer, they just have two screws. Be very careful to keep the screws in a safe place as they are usually not regular screws and are hard to replace. Also, make sure that they are exactly straight when replacing them (I'm not sure you can put them in any way except exactly straight.).

bkay

GEMRM 11-17-2019 01:19 PM

If your stitch length is set to zero you can leave the plastic plate off....

Peckish 11-17-2019 07:34 PM

I'm having a hard time envisioning this, so my idea may be invalid. Can you lower the presser foot pressure?