Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruler-t67053.html)

tmw 09-27-2010 08:46 AM

would you ladies, how thick are the rulers you use when you cut your fabric. i've been using a regular one, but yesterday i went and bought a new cutting mat and got a new ruler, but when i got home, it seems the same thickness as the regular one,!!!! i thought a thicker one would be safer to run the rotary cutter by. thank-you Thelma

littlehud 09-27-2010 09:36 AM

Mine are about the same thickness as my yardstick.

sharon b 09-27-2010 01:41 PM

I just grabbed one and measured -- so about 1/8"

amma 09-27-2010 01:48 PM

Mine are about the same thickness as my standard rulers too.

tmw 09-27-2010 02:00 PM

could we somehow get the makers to make them thicker, wouldn't it be safer to use them.?

watterstide 09-27-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
could we somehow get the makers to make them thicker, wouldn't it be safer to use them.?

it may be safer, but then the weight and shipping would be an issue. more money for us to pay, i would think.
they have come out with a new ruler, with a groove in it..that the rotary cutter rest in, as you go..
i can't think of the name of it right off hand. seems to me, they had it in Keepsake quilting or nancys notions catalog.
are you holding your hand right, when cutting? is the ruler slipping on you? tell us what is going on, so we can maybe guide you..getting cut by the roatary cutter is a really nastly cut..

bearisgray 09-27-2010 02:22 PM

The times I've gotten cut with my rotary cutter had nothing to do with the thickness of my ruler.

They had everything to do with my being careless.

watterstide 09-27-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
The times I've gotten cut with my rotary cutter had nothing to do with the thickness of my ruler.

They had everything to do with my being careless.

i dropped an open, locked one, on my foot..
i no longer use the "locked open" ones! lol!
plus our quilting over-seer at group, collects a buck from us, if we set an open roraty cutter down and walk away from it! lol!
she was just trying to get it through our heads, just how dangerous they can be!

tmw 09-27-2010 02:30 PM

i guess i need more practice, and i think i need to put the mat on my kitchen table and have it lower so i can stand over it and see it better, and i think i'm scared of the cutter too. that make sense?!?!?!?!?!

watterstide 09-27-2010 02:38 PM

yes it does!

i cut at the kitchen table, but when my back starts acting up, i go to a cutting table, it is higher , more like the height of a counter top.

anyone in your area that can give you some guidance? or even a joanns? they used to have beginner/basics for new quilters. i was taught to "press" not "iron"..cutting,using a ruler, measuring, reading a pattern..etc...it was well worth it. then after we had the basics down, we got to make a raggedy quilt!