Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ruler work on domestic machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruler-work-domestic-machine-t273562.html)

Loves Sewing 12-21-2015 12:14 PM

Ruler work on domestic machine

Has anyone used Linda Mae's rope template on their domestic machine? It looks like a great way to quilt a rope border without marking.

Prism99 12-21-2015 12:22 PM

I don't think this would work on a domestic machine because you would have to move the template along with the quilt sandwich.

Tartan 12-21-2015 01:11 PM

If you had a ruler foot for your machine it should work IF the plastic template is thick enough to run along the ruler foot. Check out Amy's blog about quilting with rulers on a domestic machine. It is important that the ruler doesn't slip under or over the ruler foot to mess up your machine. www.freemotionquiltingadventures.com/

QuiltnNan 12-21-2015 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7409982)
If you had a ruler foot for your machine it should work IF the plastic template is thick enough to run along the ruler foot. Check out Amy's blog about quilting with rulers on a domestic machine. It is important that the ruler doesn't slip under or over the ruler foot to mess up your machine. www.freemotionquiltingadventures.com/

this was my first thought, too. if the ruler slides under/over the foot, your machine's timing can be damaged requiring a service call.

ManiacQuilter2 12-21-2015 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7409955)
I don't think this would work on a domestic machine because you would have to move the template along with the quilt sandwich.

I agree. I tried it and it came out OK but it was difficult to move the ruler along with the quilt.

Dolphyngyrl 12-21-2015 07:34 PM

ruler work can be fun if you have the right foot

lynnie 12-21-2015 08:47 PM

can't you draw it on?

rryder 12-22-2015 02:32 PM

I do ruler work on my domestic machine. Yes, you do move the ruler along with the quilt sandwich and it works just fine. You lower the feed dogs and use a special ruler foot and templates that are designed to be the correct thickness to prevent the ruler riding up over the template. There are a lot of other considerations when choosing a template or ruler to use when doing ruler work on a domestic sewing machine and one of the best people to ask would be Amy Johnson.

Craftsy offers a course called "Quilting with Rulers on a Home Machine" taught by Amy Johnson. She's also got a lot of information out via You tube and her blog "Freemotion quilting adventures.com" see the link in Tartan's post above.

Rob

rryder 12-22-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7410109)
I agree. I tried it and it came out OK but it was difficult to move the ruler along with the quilt.

Maniac,
Doing ruler work on a domestic machine is a Free motion quilting technique and it involves using a specially designed FMQ foot with the feed dogs down, not a walking foot. There's lots of folks who do it and it works just fine.

Rob

celwood 12-23-2015 04:28 AM

Make sure that you use rulers that are designed for ruler work and not your regular rulers