Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rulers....do I really need all of them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rulers-do-i-really-need-all-them-t187709.html)

kjohnson0523 04-30-2012 12:30 PM

Rulers....do I really need all of them?

I consider myself fairly new to quilting (2 1/2 years). I love looking at patterns and deciding what to make (usually I start to make it don't finish it but that's another story). I have purchased several rulers lately to do certain patterns with but I have noticed that a lot of patterns now have a specific ruler that is needed. Do I really need these rulers or is it possible to use what I have? I have several rulers with different angles, in different sizes.

But my main question is, are all of these rulers really necessary? Also, what is really good ruler that I can get the most use of?

Kim

Brynn 04-30-2012 12:35 PM

For the longest time I only had a long, 8''x24'' ish ruler. Long enough to do straight rotary cuts across a yardage of fabric. If it has angle markings on it, you don't really need any of the other rulers. But, getting more gadgets is always fun, and can help a lot. I bought a square ruler to help with squaring up my HST's and blocks, and found that things went so much more smoothly. I think basic rulers are always a good idea, and the specialty ones saved for if you have money to splurge. :)

AZ Jane 04-30-2012 12:36 PM

My opinion is no, that said, does the "latest and greatest" really make a difference?

sharon b 04-30-2012 12:39 PM

I use my 6x24 the most - I hear you about all these special rulers and find myself staying away from the patterns that require them unless I really fall in love with the pattern. I think the ease of use is one reason some buy every ruler- but if you have the angles and sizes covered by another ruler just use it :)
Like making a 5 inch square - that could be made by using the 6x24 ruler but would be a lot easier if you had a 5 inch ruler. So if you can make do with what you have go for it :)

MadQuilter 04-30-2012 12:41 PM

It depends. I have my favorites even for straight cuts, and I have a few that sounded good the day I bought them - never to be used. The most recent purchase though was a Circle A Round ruler that I use to cut insetting circles. It works so well and I love it. That's why I think it depends. You need to know yourself well enough to know what you will use or if it just sounds fun.

cmw0829 04-30-2012 12:42 PM

I don't tend to use patterns that require a specific ruler. That said, I do have a number of the "basic" rulers.

8.5 x 24.5 - my usual go to ruler for cutting fabric
6.5 x 12.5 - great for when I need to work in tight spaces, measuring lots of stuff such as strip sets, etc.
6.5 x 6.5 - great for sizing units made from strips
9.5 x 9.5 - square up ruler
15 x 15 - square up ruler
1 x 6 - very old and great for trimming folded corner units
1 x 12 - same as above but irritatingly long when doing the trimming at my sewing table
Deb Tucker Wing Clipper - for my flying geese blocks (this was my Christmas wish list item)

Gee, that's a lot of rulers but I don't have a tremendous amount of space so find that the smaller rulers get a lot of use. And I'm done buying rulers. These more than suit my needs.

Kitsie 04-30-2012 01:11 PM

No, absolutely NOT. I love Creative Grid! And you don't have to avoid patterns because the publisher says you need a special ruler! For instance the Dear Jane triangle ruler?? Cut one out of template plastic! Hexagons? Make one!

The only ruler I wish for is the Creative Grid 6 x 12" that has 1/8" markings!!! I love the 24" and it has all the markings, so I'm going to buy another one and have it cut in half just for doing the small stuff.

Originally Posted by kjohnson0523 (Post 5183153)
I consider myself fairly new to quilting (2 1/2 years). I love looking at patterns and deciding what to make (usually I start to make it don't finish it but that's another story). I have purchased several rulers lately to do certain patterns with but I have noticed that a lot of patterns now have a specific ruler that is needed. Do I really need these rulers or is it possible to use what I have? I have several rulers with different angles, in different sizes.

But my main question is, are all of these rulers really necessary? Also, what is really good ruler that I can get the most use of?

Kim

Rose L 04-30-2012 01:25 PM

I only buy a specific ruler if I'm doing a pattern and what I have already won't work or if it will only work with a great deal of frustration. I don't mind buying new rulers if they will make my life a ton easier. The patterns I'm staying away from are all the new "modern" patterns that require you to use a template(s). Ick!

BellaBoo 04-30-2012 01:29 PM

I don't need every ruler suggested to use with a certain pattern but I found the suggested ruler makes it easier then making do with a standard ruler I already have. I don't like making do when I don't have to. I like learning new techniques and having options. If I couldn't buy the new ruler then of course I would use what I had. Rulers aren't that expensive and the cost spread out over the lifetime of the ruler makes it a great value.

Neesie 04-30-2012 01:31 PM

I have two Olipfa rulers - a 24" and a 36" (found the 36" on Amazon.com), both of which I use often. Then there are my "squaring up" rulers, which are very handy. Then I have a few . . . oh, can't think of what they're called - they're the ones with parallel slots, for cutting strips! June Tailor something-or-others? Then there's a set of hexagons and triangles . . . and several smaller rulers, for measuring seams. Then there's a big, square ruler thing, with rulers and angles. Do I need them all? Probably not . . . but I do use them all!

You probably won't know exactly what you need, until you need it. I do lots of crafts, so that figures into my need for multiple rulers. That's my story, anyway. :thumbup: