Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which rulers do you use the most? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rulers-do-you-use-most-t139469.html)

ShirlinAZ 07-23-2011 07:59 AM

I use my 6x24 ruler the most, but wish I had a 6 1/2 x 24. The Omnigrid rulers have the angle markings and are easy to use for a variety of cuts. I also have a 6x12 that I use quite a lot. I used only these 2 rulers until I was able to collect some of the "nice to have" squares and triangles. If I had to start over on limited $ (it always is) I would buy a 6 1/2 x 12 and a 6 1/2 x 24.

Regarding mats, I have Olfa, Drits, and Kai. They are all quite forgiving but I like the Olfa best. NO mat will last forever, but with reasonable care they will last many years. One of my Olfa mats has been cut all the way through (I was cutting photo mats with a mat cutter on it) but I can still cut fabric with a rotary cutter on it. Doesn't do as good a job as it used to, but it does work.

Have fun in the US, and be prepared for HOT weather. Everybody is suffering, but temps in Phoenix won't be down until October. If you will be in the mountains it won't be quite as bad, but we are seeing high 90s here in Prescott.

gemladi 07-23-2011 08:16 AM

I also like the Creative Grid Rulers, I have a 6.5 x 12.5 I use all the time. Would like to invest in teh 24" as well, they have grid and it really does help to keep the slipping at a minimum. As far as self healing mats I am not sure if any really do self heal. When it is just too bad to use on one side turn it over they won't have the lines,I really only use the rulers for my measurements anyway.

justflyingin 07-23-2011 08:25 AM

Thanks for all the comments. I hope it won't be too hot, but right now it's only in the 60's here and I wouldn't mind a bit warmer. I'm typing with a hoodie on. :)

I'll fly over on the 21st and come back two weeks later. I will fly into Phoenix (so yes, it will be hot!) and then over to SC and then to FL before coming back.

About three years ago we (DH and I) flew over for a conference to the states and just returned back to Poland without seeing my sons who were in college and my parents (who are getting older), and I decided at that time, if I ever get to fly over again, I don't want to to skip the visit--never again. We don't make it back to the states very often. IT felt so weird to be so close and not stop in and say hi and visit.

I'll be flying on Delta using my AE card, so I can get a piece of luggage on each flight at no extra charge, so if I do pick up some sale things in AZ, I'll take 'em with me to FL--shouldn't be any charge for one suitcase. DH has FF status, so he gets luggage anyway. But it's true. We tend to fly with only carry on bags--til the final flight back here when we will bring extra, even...it's worth it to pay $50 and get 50 lbs of stuff over here. It's the cheapest way to get things to Poland now.

I'm probably going to get an Olfa mat--a big one (the 24x36 size) and the rotating mat 12x12. Then, you've all given me some great advice and I want to read about some of those rulers you've mentioned. I've read before about the June Tailor ruler that apparently lets you cut multiple rows without moving it--that sounds intriguing.

I've got to read about the squaring up ruler. I've recently done some HST (I feel so "quilty-smart" when I use the abbreviations that I've only recently learned). :) I was using some of my scraps and using Bonnie Hunter's scrap patterns--a lot of which use the HST. Squaring them up seemed to take forever! But I had to trim half and then flip them and trim the other sides.

munchkinmama 07-23-2011 08:43 AM

Olfa mats are great but they are very heat sensitive. Even riding in the back of my van for a short trip to quilting class can put a kink in it. I have had to replace two for those reasons. I am not sure how you could take it home (unless your get a small one) with out it losing it's shape. Good luck and hope your trip is great.

TonnieLoree 07-23-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
You should post while you're in the US and ask for a link to a current Joann's coupon (valid in stores) so you can print them out for use.

While Creative Grids are great rulers, you can't beat the price on the Olfa and Omnigrid rulers at Joann's with a 40% or 50% off coupon (if they're not on sale already).

That's a great idea for anybody traveling!

Robinlee 07-23-2011 08:51 AM

I use my 6x6"sq, 6x24" and a 9 1/2" sq the most. I do have a several others, but use for special projects.

Robinlee 07-23-2011 08:52 AM

Enjoy your trip..........

phatquilts2 07-23-2011 08:54 AM

Picked up some handy hints from quilt classes a few years ago: use a Klutz Glove (Fons & Porter) on the hand that does not hold the rotary cutter to stay safe. Use the "Omni Grip" rulers especially the 8.5 x 24 inches & 2.5 x 18.

For the rulers that are the smooth plastic on both sides use the plastic "Invisigrip" [sold on a roll] to prevent the ruler from slipping, just cut it slightly smaller than your ruler.

Love my Quilt in a Day Rulers and Love my J. Tailor slotted ruler. Love the "Clover" brand products since they are well made. I really must buy the EQ7.

I better stop here - quilting is fabulous and so are the gadgets.
BTW, since you will be stopping in Florida - if you are in central Florida do stop by the Quilt Shop of Deland. They do have a fantastic web site to peruse. They have wonderful things to buy and the people at the shop are just super creative. :D Happy Quilting.

Krystyna 07-23-2011 09:08 AM

I love the Olfa mats. The one I use most is 36x24, but I have smaller ones and a gigantic one that's about 6 feet long. Almost never use that.

laalaaquilter 07-23-2011 09:12 AM

I use a Deb Tucker Trimmer I, a Wing Clipper, and an Omnigrid 6X24. I'm probably going to get a small square next, like a 4 inch or so and it will probably be an Omnigrid too. I'm borrowing a friend's mat. They are expensive so I haven't gotten it in the budget yet. Once I've got the money set aside I'll just wait for a good JoAnn's coupon and then get it.