Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rulers for a Mid Arm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rulers-mid-arm-t300973.html)

Watson 11-17-2018 12:47 PM

Rulers for a Mid Arm?

Where is the best place to purchase rulers for my mid arm? I just want basic ones to start and everyone seems to just offer fancy, or you have to buy the foot if you want the basic ones.

I have lots for my home machine but of course, they won't work.

I've looked at Quilter's Apothecary. Are they my best choice? Do people like the handle?

Thanks, Watson

dunster 11-17-2018 02:40 PM

I do not like a handle on my longarm rulers. I don't have the ones from Quilter's Apothecary, but I tried them in a class, and I have some of a different brand. I use those, but not happily. Some people like the handles, and obviously Jamie Wallen does, so I think you would need to try them and make your own decision.

Why don't the rulers for your home machine work on the mid arm? I thought any 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass would work on any machine, provided you have a ruler base if you need one and a foot that supports ruler work on that machine. But so far I've only used rulers on my longarm, so I don't know much about using them on a DSM.

I like the rulers from HandiQuilter, but I have a variety of brands. I prefer rulers that are clear to the ones that are blue or pink or orange. I like for them to be etched with lines that help in positioning. I've purchased rulers at quilt shows and various online shops.

Kwiltr 11-17-2018 07:49 PM

I use the same rulers I used on my domestic on my Sweet 16 sit down and now my Longarm. 1/4” thickness is the only criteria for all. I have some Handi Quilter, Kim Brunner, Quilted Pineapple (Curved rulers) and a straight edge that is no longer available. They all work.

quiltingshorttimer 11-17-2018 09:53 PM

I also don't like the handled ones--I may just not be coordinated enough to use it,but doesn't seem as versatile to me. I love DeLoa Jones boomerangs--have 2 sizes and plan to buy another at the KCRQF show next summer. I have Linda Taylor's rectangle for straight edges. And have a weird looking cross with curves on each stem that I got from Kris Viera--she may get Dusty Ferrall to make them. Like Dunster, I prefer clear and with markings to show different widths and reference points. Seems the less complex ones are the ones I use the most.

rryder 11-18-2018 03:07 AM

For my Sweet16 I have a wide variety from different makers, none with the handle because I think that might get in the way for sit down work- maybe not. As far as what I like - I like the extra markings that are on my Westalee ruler that has one straight edge and one curved edgex very useful for doing grids, matchstick quilting etc. and the ruler is short enough thta I can control it easily. I also love the Westalee circles on quilts ruler. Basically, any ruler that I was using with my PQ1500s has worked just fine on the Sweet16 even though they are not quite 1/4” thick. They were the ones that Westalee sold for high shank machines, if your previous machine was Low shank then you wouldn’t be able to use those rulers, but if it was high shank your rulers might be thick enough to use.

Rob

sheilar 11-18-2018 04:51 AM

I would think any brand of rulers would work, you need the proper foot, high shank or low shank.

QuiltingVagabond 11-18-2018 07:07 AM

Mostly Handiquilter rulers for me, I joined a ruler of the month club more than a year ago and have quite a collection!

Barb in Louisiana 11-18-2018 01:55 PM

I have an older Nolting and have to use the 3/8" thick rulers. The 1/4" are too thin. Thankfully I asked the question before I bought any rulers. Not that I have used them very much at all. My longarm profiency would get better if I actually quilted some quilts, but I am an on again, off again piecer. I have bought the rulers as groups to save the money.

stitch678 11-18-2018 06:10 PM

I use 2 from Accentsindesign.com , their straight rule and a curved one, both have peg handles, and easy to see lines. I also have a Handiquilter waves ruler ( small one side & long waves on other) , and their Multi tool which has a curved top ( clamshell) a straight edge with 1/4" inset ( sid), a right angle , and a circle for your ruler foot to sit in to guide machine around appliques ( a really handy little ruler...fits in palm of hand nicely. Recently, l got 2 sizes of oval shapes. But the straight ruler and the Handitool are my most used.
For those wondering why the domestic machine's rulers can't be used, the answer is that the thick ones can be...but low shank machines can only fit 3mm thick rulers in behind foot...so those are too shallow for a midarm or longarm, especially if it has a hopping ruler foot.

oreo1912 11-18-2018 10:50 PM

I have a pq1500s 9" and I have some westlee and other brands of rulers. But the one I use the most is the one I got off the Judi Madsen website. IT is a short straight ruler with an angled handle. It seems to be the right length for my machine work and the angled handle makes it easy to use in any direction. It is my go to ruler and it is inexpensive and you can use it with any ruler foot