Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rules for sashing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rules-sashing-t43237.html)

skpkatydid 04-19-2010 11:03 AM

I was wondering, is there basic rules for determining what width size sashing to use with different sizes of blocks? Or is it pretty much what looks good?
I searched the topic and didn't really see this question addressed.

I was thinking there might be a starting point.

sharon b 04-19-2010 11:55 AM

Unless the pattern specifies I think it is personal preference on what looks best or you like . Of course you can adjust depending on what size you need the quilt to finish at, size wise :wink:

Pamela Artman 04-19-2010 12:04 PM

Yeah, I think it's all in the look you want. If you want your blocks to look smaller and more separated, use wider sashing. I normally use 2.5" strips, so my sashing finishes at 2. Look at some different quilts and see what size you like or lay your blocks on a large piece of uncut fabric and position them different widths apart and see what looks best to you.

skpkatydid 04-19-2010 12:18 PM

Thank you for your input.

patricej 04-19-2010 01:36 PM

rules? for sashing?

'round here, we don't need no stinkin' rules for shashing. we are rebels without a clue. we run amok every chance we get.

join the fun. it's contagious. :mrgreen:

seriously, though, the "right" width is the one you like best. if you aren't sure, try spreading out the fabric you plan to use for sashing. arrange some of the blocks on top of it. play with the spacing until it mays you smile and say, "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh". measure it; add half an inch for seams; and sash away.
:thumbup:

vjengels 04-19-2010 01:43 PM

I usually determine how wide my sashing needs to after I finish the center, If I ran out of fabric, and the tops not wide enough, it gets lots of sashing... if I'm doing something 'on point' then maybe only wide enough to keep me from mangling the edges. Or, if I think the top needs more color, ... you guessed it! I add another sashing! I recently saw a book in the library ,, Haffe Kassett , Kaffe Hassett???? anyway,... there was a photo of a quilt, so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it! like a modified log cabin! started with a small rectangle then strips on each side, the same color for each 'round' radiating out . Beautiful! the perfect sashing!

dsb38327 04-19-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I think it's all in the look you want. If you want your blocks to look smaller and more separated, use wider sashing.

I did not know that. I always thought I was analytical but I am beginning to wonder.

bearisgray 04-19-2010 01:54 PM

only "guidelines" - mostly it's what you like and what works for you

maryb119 04-19-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
only "guidelines" - mostly it's what you like and what works for you

I agree.

Sharon321 04-19-2010 04:01 PM

I heard some advise for borders once. The lecturer advised you to take size of the quilt and determine all the possible factors. Choose one of those based on preferance for look. Such as: 12 inch block, try 2inch, 3 inch, 4 inch or 5 inch borders. Thought it was a good guideline. I use it for sashing also.