Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rummage Sale find! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rummage-sale-find-t305351.html)

bkay 06-21-2019 06:01 AM

I'm an estate sale shopper. I usually keep things for a while, at least until I figure out I can't or won't use it. I try to find the appropriate home for the items I will not use. A couple of years ago, I found a Dresden Plate quilt top that was about 1/2 finished. I kept it, but haven't finished it. It was $10.00. At that same estate sale, I bought a basket full of fabric for $10.00. In that basket was a beautiful Indian raw silk piece with neckline embroidery and set with coral stones. My DH was in the hospital for a few days. I gifted it to his physical therapist yesterday who was Indian. She was awed with it. I didn't know what it was, but she said that it was expensive, even in India. She was happy, I was happy.

It felt really good to give to someone who appreciated it. I gift fabric I will not use to Project Linus. The old saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." is still true.

bkay

QuiltnNan 06-21-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8268098)
... One time I got this message to "go to XX goodwill" in my head. I went and on my list at that time was a metal Post Office box to replace the plastic one I had. There it was, at the goodwill, perfect condition and had my house number already on it! My exact 4 digit house number!!...

This is an amazing coincidence!

ckcowl 06-21-2019 06:41 AM

The best $20 I ever spent was at a barn sale. I purchased a 1956 Singer 99-K in its original leather case in perfect condition. The owner had taken great care of it. It sews like a dream. While I was talking to her about the machine my hubby found a large batch of 100% wool ( he’s always checking for wool for me) he had a large arm load- probably $300 worth of wool. She said- oh you can have it, for buying the machine. My husband gave her $50 and told her she couldn’t make any money that way- she replied, “ I’m not worried about making money I’m worried about this stuff going away”
after her sale ended she brought me over another large tote of wool ( about 25 yards worth and a box of notions she came across for the machine. I know it was her- though she just put the stuff inside our garage door.

pocoellie 06-21-2019 07:49 AM

After wanting a Featherweight for a number of years, I found one in a thrift store for $200, then I'll be darned if I wasn't at an estate sale, when I found 2 more, one in the box, and the other, someone has spray painted it turquoise and didn't do a good job, but anyway, got both for $70, then another estate sale, found another one, wasn't priced, asked the gal how much it was, she asked me what I wanted to pay for it, I said, no, YOU tell me what you want for it, said how about $20.00, I said you got it, she said there was another machine outside, she showed me where, was a 401 for $10.00. You just never know what you'll find out there.

Jordan 06-21-2019 07:52 AM

You got a smokin' deal!! Nice of you to donate some of your bargains with your guild.

Onebyone 06-21-2019 09:31 AM

When I'm looking for a particular item for a great bargain I think about it, visualize it, and see myself finding it. I have never not be able to find the item within a year. I don't look for a genuine long lost Picasso, only normal things. LOL

Bebe2Ten 06-21-2019 12:24 PM

One of my best finds was an auction. I bid on an old singer in a cabinet, and at the last minute they added a couple of large boxes of miscellaneous sewing related stuff. I got the machine for $22, and when I got home and opened the boxes I found 60 whole, uncut, large feed sacks, and several quilt tops made from old feed sacks. Wow! I thought I'd won the lotto.

hobbykat1955 06-21-2019 02:32 PM

I started reading abt how everyone loved the 301. So my local school was having a tag sale so I went hoping I'd find one. "What were the chances of that?" In my area I had gone to hse sales and when I'd ask abt sewing machines they would look at me like I had two heads...So I went from table to table and pretty much gave up and was heading out and OMG off in the distance one table I missed there was a black machine. I rushed over and OMG it was a 301 for $30.00...I saw someone heading it's way, I snapped it up not knowing if it worked or had a bobbin case and took it home. It worked and I did have to buy a bobbin case but it was well worth it...I love my 301's...Yup, I now have a total of 3 and they all get used. One in a cabinet w/all the accessories Tan color for 90.00 and another black 301 in case with accessories for 50.00...all in mint condition.

jillmc 06-21-2019 02:32 PM

Stopped at a church rummage sale as they were beginning to clean up....sign said all items $5. Hubby spotted a serger..plugged it in and it powered up, so we took a chance. Cleaned, oiled, new needles....runs like new!

mindless 06-21-2019 04:23 PM

I stumbled across a CL ad for a 'little portable sewing machine' about 5 years ago. The address was about 1 1/2 hours away from me, but I answered the ad anyway, in spite of CL's reputation.

A male voice said that his mother had just passed, and he wanted it to go to a good home. I am just dumb enough to go and check it out...alone. I was using my phone GPS, and was fairly close when my battery died. I debated about just going home, but I couldn't resist "little portable sewing machine".

I drove around quite a bit before finding the address.

When I (finally) got there, I found the cutest little black singer ever. (I didn't really know anything about featherweights yet). He was asking $184.00 for it. I asked him if it worked, and he plugged it in for me. Do sewing machines purr? Yes. This one did.
I had to take it home with me.

When I got it home and inspected it, I realized that I was looking at a beautifully cared for 222k. I did call him back & tell him it was worth more, but he didn't care. He just wanted a good home for it.

Happy dance! :)